Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can anyone advise me please

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by vivien, Nov 13, 2012.

1. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Tiga went in for a dental last week and had to have 3 teeth removed. The vet gave him MELOXIDYL which in turn gave him an upset tummy, they then gave him Diarsanyl which cleared his tummy. Up but he won't eat and I am getting very worried I have had him back to the vets 3 times since the op and yesterday they took bloods to check his liver and kidneys! They did it in house so I got the results back yesterday afternoon, and they came back clear. The vet said that Tiga is suffering from depression a combination of the op and fireworks which we are still getting around here and that I am to keep hand feeding him but all he has eaten today is one slice of ham. I am at my wits end as he was perfectly fine before the op. any help will be appreciated thank you

Viv xx

2. yankeedo

yankeedo PetForums Junior

I'm really sorry to hear about Tiga's situation and I hope things improve quickly. I don't know if this will be of any help at all, but I just finished reading a fantastic thread on here about the wonderful benefits of giving our feline friends Manuka honey and thought it might be worth considering. There seem to be so many cats (and people) who have used this age-old remedy for a variety of ailments and by taking it, their issues have been improved or resolved. x

http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-health-nutrition/272131-manuka-honey.html

3. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you Yankeedo I have just looked at the manuka honey thread it is worth trying at the moment I will try anything. Also welcome to the forum.

Viv xx

4. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Depression? I'm not aware cats suffer from depression like humans unless there's a medical reason/pain resulting in them feeling poorly. So I'd suspect this is the case with Tiga here which would also explain the inappetence. Generally speaking cats recover very quickly from uncomplicated dentals so I'm wondering about infection/inflammation here. Two things strike me...the extraction site being still painful and intestinal inflammation caused by the Meloxidi. Of the two I'd suspect it's a GI problem. Any nausea or vomiting? Weight loss? Of couse stomach will thrive on an empty stomach which makes matters worse. Did vets palpate abdomen? I wonder if there's some residual soreness?? Oral examination?

In addition, of course the longer cats go without food the harder it is to kick-start their appetites again. Frankly, I'm surprised your vets aren't taking this more seriously-it's extremely important he eats and this has gone on too long at this stage (I'm not surprised you're at your wits end) Think you'll have to syringe feed him yourself if you haven't already started doing so...just little portions for starters. However, if you suspect nausea ( can be treated) I'd hold off as you don't want to cause food aversion. Sometimes this gets the appetite going and they begin to eat independently. Warming strong smelling foods like fish can also be good appetisers!

Finally, I do hope he's drinking enough. Last thing you need right now is dehydration as well. Also even though I'm glad to hear the liver and kidneys are OK I do wonder if he may have developed pancreatitis as this can be brought on by stress. Any history of GI issues ever? If ask for an fPLI test now...they may have some blood left over.

Hope he's much better soon for you!

5. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

you could also mention to your vet if a pain releif would be benifical, to get my girl eating after her tooth was extracted i gave her hills ad to keep the weight on her but be careful as sometimes they get a poorly tummy.:)

6. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you Ianthi the vet has done a thorough check every time I have taken Tiga back, I am going back to the vet nurse tomorrow to have him weighed, I am feeding him water with a syringe and so far today I have hand fed him in intervals 3 slices of ham and half a bowl of fish, I know this is not ideal but I am desperate to get him eating again today is the most he has eaten since the op. when you put food in front of him he seems eager to eat until he starts eating then it is as though he either feels sick ( he has not been sick) or he has a sore throat or mouth, but when the vet looked he said he was healing nicely and all is as it should be. He did say that if there was no improvement after a couple of days he would have him in for more in depth blood tests. He does seem a little more lively tonight. Things have not been right from day one of the op. he would not come round after the GA he had the op on the Monday and it was Tuesday afternoon before he finally came round, I did phone but they said give him till the afternoon as he had extra GA and oxygen due to having the teeth out. I have to admit I am frightened to let him go for a dental again after this as he was in perfect health before the op.

Viv xx

7. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

i hope your cat gets better soon, i would also be worried about more dental checks.xx:)

8. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Tiga did have pain relief MELOXIDYL and it caused him an upset tummy, the vet then gave him Diarsanyl which did clear up his tummy, I will ask the vet about the hills ad I will do anything to get him back to rights.

Viv xx

9. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

I have made a small breakthrough with Tiga it is not ideal but its better than ham and fish Tiga is and has always been a dry food eater I have tried to give him wet by taking his dry away before but it just doesn't work, but since having his teeth done he hasn't eaten the dry either hence the ham chicken and fish but with chicken he will only eat a couple of mouthfuls. I tried him on the whiskas dry that I put out for the strays I feed and he has eaten some, he normaly has Hills Science Natures Best. I am wondering if the natures best is a little rough on his gums now but he ate a good couple of mouthfuls, all I can really do is put it up along side his normal food and hope he goes back to it.

Viv xx

10. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I hadn't realised this when you first posted Vivien. Did they say why he needed the additional GA? Sounds as if the extractions weren't straightforward in which case I'm wondering if pain was the problem all along given the fact he wasn't on any medication. (Incidentally, do make sure they managed to remove all of the teeth in question-retained roots, for instance can cause problems at a later stage!)

He's eating more than I at first thought but for the moment, in an effort to guide him towards eating independently I'd let him eat whatever he wants!

11. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Hello Ianthi Tiga ate 1 slice of ham and I fed him some whiskas dry which I buy for the strays that I feed, he ate 2 mouthful then brought it back up. When he went back to the vet he had lost another 6 grams so he has stayed in the hospital part and the vet is doing a blood test for pancreatitis he says its very unusual for a young cat to get it though other than the dry food he has kept the ham down. The vet is going to ring me in the morning. The blood test won't be back till next week so it's going to be a long wait for me.

Viv xx

12. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

poor tiga, sending hugs for a speedy recovery.:)

13. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you catcoonz

Viv xx

14. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Next week? I've had results much more quickly than this...in a few hours from outside lab when marked urgent in one case and within two days in another. At first I did wonder about P Vivien before I heard about the GA ( do ask about this, btw) but now I'm not so sure. How old is Tiga then?

Anyway, I hope whatever it is he's much better soon. However, if he's still refusing food at vets I would bring him home.

15. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Tiga is three and a half years old. He is only eating small amounts at home and only if I hand feed him. So maybe he would benefit from the drip he is on, I am hoping he comes home tomorrow but I doubt it, I did ask about the GA and they said because instead of just a scale and polish they had to take 3 teeth out and that's why they gave him extra GA it actually frightened me as I just read it as oxygen but it was iso something and oxygen, because when I saw the oxygen I immediately phoned up and asked if something had gone wrong and they said no that it was just extra GA, I am very confused myself about this. All I know is I had a healthy happy cat that was eating normally before he went in now I have one very sick cat and I am scared.

Viv xx

16. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

I have found the receipt with the information on and this is how it reads.
    Tiga VFL which means vaccine for life.
    Dental extractions per 5 minutes. Then the cost
    Metacam injection 0.2% 2mg/ml. ...............
    Stock MELOXIDYL oral (cats) per mil. ................
    Dental descale & polish feline (including GA). .............
    Special
    GA extra isoflo/oxygen/monitoring. ................
    Charge per 15 minutes
    I just saw the oxygen bit and panicked and I have asked time and time again did something go wrong. The vet will ring me about 9 - 1/2 -9 so I will update as soon as I know.

Viv xx

17. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Vivien I think the oxygen/monitoring is normal when using Isoflo see below taken from Wikipedia ,Sorry it is a bit long but hope it helps.

Isoflurane (2-chloro-2-(difluoromethoxy)-1,1,1-trifluoro-ethane) is a halogenated ether used for inhalational anesthesia. Together with enflurane and halothane, it replaced the flammable ethers used in the pioneer days of surgery. Its name comes from being a structural isomer of enflurane, hence they have the same empirical formula. It is a racemic mixture of (R) and (S) optical isomers. Its use in human medicine is now starting to decline, being replaced with sevoflurane, desflurane and the intravenous anaesthetic propofol. Isoflurane is still frequently used for veterinary anaesthesia.

Isoflurane is always administered in conjunction with air and/or pure oxygen. Often nitrous oxide is also used. Although its physical properties imply that anaesthesia can be induced more rapidly than with halothane, its pungency can irritate the respiratory system, negating this theoretical advantage conferred by its physical properties. It is usually used to maintain a state of general anesthesia that has been induced with another drug, such as thiopentone or propofol. It vaporizes readily, but is a liquid at room temperature. It is completely nonflammable

18. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you Buffie.
    Just a quick update. Tiga had a temperature of 40 degrees last night the vets have got it back down now. Tiga still has not eaten so the vet is going to give him an appetite stimulant and if that doesn't work syringe feed him. He is also going to put him on ABs. The vet also said the results from the blood test could be back today or tomorrow he previously thought early next week so fingers crossed for that, and that they come back clear.

Viv xx

19. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Hope the results are back today and put your mind at rest that it isnt pancreatitis ,very thing crossed here that Tiga responds quickly and is back home soon xx

20. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Replied on your other thread!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice