Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can anybody suggest anything..

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jazzy, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

One of my game friends on facebook has just messaged me to say that there are gypsies who are living right near them and they have a dog that looks like it's starving and she hasn't seen them feed or water it in over a week and it's just lying there on a bit of carpet. There are no bowls near it not even water. I told her to phone the RSPCA but she says she has but the lines are busy and she's also scared of repercussions. :( I feel really upset, surely they aren't allowed to just starve a dog and nobody do anything.:mad:

Can anybody suggest anything please and do you think the RSPCA would act even though they are gypsies?

2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Poor dog:(
    The RSPCA are pretty bad TBH (have experienced their ineptitude first hand) but unless the local authority are willing to help out I don't know of anyone else who could
    As for repercussions, I think you can report it anonymously
    Hope something can be sorted for this poor animal

3. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

in a word not normally,if they are anything like the gypsies around here the authorities stay well away,we normally end up with their lurchers who end up being strays.
    she can keep trying the rspca,but i doubt there is much that can be done unfortuanatley :(

4. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

She says they have an eviction notice from the council but don't know when they are going. So awful to feel so powerless - evil evil people.:mad:

5. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

She's just messaged me again and said some kids had some chips and dropped them on the grass and one of the women picked them up before the dog got them - looks like they are starving it on purpose. :mad: :mad: God I wish these people would just drop dead, they don't deserve to live when they can be so bloody evil. :mad: :mad: :mad:

6. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

thats just awful:mad:
    hope someone can advise on something more proactive than just waiting for the RSPCA

7. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

My hubby suggested trying the police if the RSPCA can't be contacted

8. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

9. Chrissysarah

Chrissysarah PetForums Junior

I am quite sure that they would reply to any animal in distress... they can only look and see cant they. If you know where it is can you ring? I mean you dont have to give your name x good luck x

10. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

You could try to call your local dog warden, they may be able to help,or maybe a local animal rescue, the more people who are aware of this poor dog the better,

11. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Thanks so much for that, I'll send her that link now. It's right outside her window apparently.:sad: I think it is disgusting that these people can get away with starving a dog to death and getting away with it because the authorities are so bloody scared of them.:mad: I reckon the RSPCA and armed police should go in and tell them any trouble and they get their bloody evil heads blown off - that should keep them quiet.:mad:

12. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Have sent you PM

13. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

RSPCA have a pretty good relationship with gypsies, they cover the Appleby Horse Fair every year and have built up quite a good rapport with the traveller community.

Report the dog to the RSPCA and they WILL attend and take action the same as if it was a dog in the back yard of a house.

Thanks for caring :)

*EDIT-if your friend is afraid of repercussions there's no need to worry the RSPCA will treat the report in total confidence. If she's still afraid to do it PM me the details and I'll call the RSPCA tonight.

#13 metaldog, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  14. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

How does she know it is being starved. What reason would they have to starve it. Does she watch it all the time. Does she see the other camp dogs being fed and this one being tied up so it cant reach the food.
    sorry but this sounds rather odd to me. Gypsies set a lot of store by their dogs and they are not going to starve it for the fun of watching it die.

15. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I have given her the link to the website that someone kindly put up although she hasn't answered yet. She lives in the Yorkshire area I think.

Thanks for the reply. :)

16. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

She said it's painfully thin and her window overlooks where the dog is. She said there are no bowls nearby not even water.

17. jakek06

jakek06 PetForums Newbie

I don't know what the update on the situation is at the moment however I may be able to advise a few things...

As we all know, the RSPCA are worse than useless - nothing more than a private wealthy organisation with no more power than you or I.

The AWA should really be implemented by the Animal Welfare Inspector from the council - usually attached to trading standards. However, the council do not have a statutory duty to implement the act and will often pass the buck to the RSPCA.

If you get pictures of animal cruelty, contact the AWI at the council and don't be fobbed off. If they won't help, tell them you will go to the press and publish on the web. If you can enlist the support of many people, it will put pressure on those that have the power, to get off their backsides and do something.

If you need any specific advice, I don't mind answering any questions. You can contact me on my email mailto:jakek@animalcampaigns.co.uk.

Jake.

18. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

Sorry i havent read the whole thread, but your friend should call her local Travellor liaison Officer, you can find this on you local council website. They are the ones who get involved in these cases, not the RSPCA. TBH the RSPCA would only advise them to fee dnad water it, and after various visits would take the dog away, but not straight away.

Has your friend spoken to them? Can she ask to take the dog?

19. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Agree with the dog warden. I've phoned ours before and they won't give your info away - they can just say a passer by reported it. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice