Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can anybody help custard

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Lexi-puppy, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Lexi-puppy

Lexi-puppy PetForums Junior

hi there

i'm really worried about my rat custard.
    he has developed a rash on his tail and scabs (looks just like eczma) my vet said it's nothing to worry about and only becomes a problem if i see him bite it and the pet shop doesn't stock small animal antiseptic cream:(

does anyone know what this mite be and can anyone suggest something to help.
    i contaced another vet and they won't see me as i am registerd under my vet.
    and my vet charges £12 for the privalige!:confused:

2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

you can see another vet if you like
    theres no reason you can not get second opinion.
    even better dont tell them your reg under another vet.

3. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Try some sudocream or E45 on it won't hurt him or even better some aloe vera know anyone who has a plant??

4. swinnk8

swinnk8 PetForums Junior

firstly get your vet to do a scraping to find out what it is. If he does have a mite they can inject him with ivormectin.
    Sudocream as suggested is a good healing cream but if it is a mite it will not stop the scabbing.
    You can also try bathing him im johnsons mite shampoo for small animals. Take him off shavings and bed him on Carefresh which is good against allergies and bacteria.
    You can search the net for bedding and treatments that you cannot get in your area.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice