Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can any one help with information

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rosie64, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

Chip has started being bowel incontinent , It is not a constant thing it has happened 3 times this past month .
    He has no idea it is happening so thankfully is not getting stressed by it and it is no big deal to me .
    I was told that he would become incontinent by the neurologist and I am aware it will get worse .
    The thing that is puzzling me is that I thought ( don't know why ) when you become incontinent human
    or animal ,you were basically full time incontinent not have it intermittent like Chip is .
    He is due a check up at the vet next week and I will be asking them about it but was wondering if any one here
    has or has had an incontinent pet and how it came about with them . Was it full on incontinence straight away or intermittent like Chip .

Thanks in advance for all and any response

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

McKenzie has urine incontinence. She's on meds now but before she was diagnosed it was just the odd accident here and there - it's not like she can't control her bladder at all.

It could be that Chip's accidents have occurred when he's held a little longer than usual, or perhaps his stool was a bit softer for some reason and therefore it was harder for him to hold. I would just describe it as mild incontinence.

(As a person, I have a food intolerance that triggers urine incontinence. It doesn't mean that I constantly wet myself! :Hilarious)

#2 McKenzie, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  3. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

Thank you @McKenzie for your reply , I am pretty sure it is incontinence , I was told it would happen ,
    he will be walking across the room and it is just dropping as he walks , he doesn't slow down , crouch
    or show any sign that he knows it is happening.
    I don't know why but I had it in my head that when incontinence happened it would suddenly go from
    normal one day to full time incontinence the next .
    It would seem that I was way out with that thinking , don't get me wrong I am NOT complaining lol .

4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I had the same thing with one of my previous goldens, Tora. She had spondylosis in her spine (arthritic bony growths) and eventually it started to press on the nerves associated with bowel continuance. She would do the same as Chip dropping bits of poo as she walked along seemingly unaware. As it progressed she started pooing in her sleep and would leave a lump or two when she got up, first occasionally then practically every time. Thankfully her output was dry and solid and easy to pick up, it could have been a lot worse. After being a very clean dog I thought it would upset her, but she had no idea she was doing it..

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

Thank you for your reply , Thankfully Chips stool is firm so easily picked up and he has no idea he is doing it .
    He has always been a clean dog from 14 / 16 weeks old only 2 accidents in the house in 8 years and they were
    when he has had stomach problems and were more my fault than his because I could not move quick enough to
    open the door for him . Each time he was really distressed by it I am so glad he doesn't know it is happening as
    he would be so distressed .

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. rona

rona Still missing my boys

It is probably like old people. when they fart, cough, sneeze or move wrong ;) :Shamefullyembarrased

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice