Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can an electric fence damage a puppy??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dubs, Mar 27, 2011.

1. dubs

dubs PetForums Newbie

I was walking my 5 month old shih tzu off her lead Thurs evening when she decided to run off the footpath and into a farmers electric fence. She let out a huge howl and yelped but seemed to recover fairly quickly. Friday night and she seemed a bit constipated - unlike her and we had to get up to her 3 times in the night for her to go outside - she has never needed to do this even as a young puppy. Last night (Saturday) the same - twice and then this morning she wouldn't touch her food. Her stools have been softer than usual but more of them. Could this be a reaction to the trauma of the fence, has she been damaged or is it coincidence??
    Anyone have any experience of this? She seems a bit quieter but was happy enough when out walking yesterday. She has now eaten something but has left some - completely out of character!

2. Ridgielover

Ridgielover PetForums Senior

It might be due to the shock being zapped by the electric fence. Keep an eye on her and if you are worried, give the vet a call or visit.

And by the way, if the farmer had an electric fence up then there will have been livestock about. Your puppy should without a doubt have been on the lead! Just imagine if she'd gone off chasing sheep and ended up getting shot :(

3. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

I remember the first time Bramble got too close to an electric fence. Bless him, he panicked so much! Keep an eye on her, if in doubt just give the vet a call.

4. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

You should phone the vet if you are worried. But please be careful; some of those fences are not enough to keep out a small dog and even a biggish one can get underneath. My friend's dalmatian got under once and in among the sheep; she was going frantic, couldn't get her out. Luckily someone came along who draped his coat over and climbed in and lifted the dog out. You might not always have a knight in shining armour to come to your rescue and even if she could have got in herself, she would never have been able to lift her dog.

Ferdie caught one once, yelped, gave me an evil look like he thought I had done something and took off.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice