Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can a Russian Blue be happy as an only cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by CakesNCream, Dec 22, 2020.

1. CakesNCream

CakesNCream PetForums Junior

Its going to be years until I get a cat so right now this is all just curiosity.

I'm not sure if I want one cat or two in the future. I just know cats will definitely be a part of my life as soon as I've settled in a new place.
    I'm very fond of Russian Blues and Birmans.

If I get two cats it will probably be one of each. If I get one it can't be a Birman because I know Birmans are very social. What about a Russian Blue?

2. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Well Birmans can do well on their own. I'm a breeder and many of my kittens have gone to homes where they are the only cat. I can't speak for Russian Blues though.

OrientalSlave and CakesNCream like this.
  3. CakesNCream

CakesNCream PetForums Junior

I believe they do well if someone is home for most of the day (do correct me on this if it is not true), not if someone needs to go out to work. I do work from home so this wouldn't be an actual problem but in case worse comes to worst and I do for whatever reason end up working away from home, I want to get a cat that wouldn't suffer from separation anxiety.

Maybe all cats would be unhappy in this situation, if that is the case be free to educate me more on this topic.
    Thanks

4. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Most people go out to work it isn't a bar to pet ownership, certainly not when that pet is a cat, a species who spends the vast majority of it's life asleep. The main issue is providing sufficient mental stimulation. But toys, climbers and treat balls can all provide entertainment while you are not in the house. If you can have one, a catio that can be accessed at all times is also a good way of providing the cat with a different range of sights, smells and sounds while remaining safe. Being out of the house for a few hours isn't really the issue a lot of people try to make it out to be.

5. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Being out of the home for 10-14 hours as the standard workday, can be an issue for some breeds being an only cat, not all spend most of their time sleeping, then pairs tend to do much better.

All the Russians I know tend to attach to one person and are ok with some alone time. Contact breeders directly as they know their cats best or join some breed specific Facebook groups.

CakesNCream likes this.
  6. lenanowa

lenanowa PetForums Member

Also, just do what feels right to you. I only wanted one kitten, was told he would be fine, but I had a baby cam on so knew he wasn’t fine (I took a few days off to settle him in, but then I’d be out for 10hrs in the old days when we still had to work from the office). Quickly ended up getting another kitten, and frankly, I would really recommend it, irrespective of breed. There’s nothing better than watching two kittens chase and run all around the place, IMO as humans we just can’t replicate the way two cats play with each other. Good luck, whatever you decide :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice