Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Can a newborn filly foal born last night survive in this weather?

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding and Rearing Foals' started by Spock1, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Spock1

Spock1 What?

my horse had her foal sometime last night it’s 11 degrees Celsius outside but it’s raining and it’s windy, I tried putting mum and baby in the stables took me all morning to catch them and when I did they walked out of the field fine but as soon as I got to the stable door the mum refused to go in and as a result I got dragged across the pavement now I have gashes on my elbows and knees she’s 16hh and stocky she’s a gypsy cob 3 of us where trying to drag her in the stable she pulled and pulled till she slipped her head collar and ran back into the field with her baby she just doesn’t wanna go in she’s 8 or 9 years old and this is her first foal she’s very protective not in an aggressive way but she just runs away won’t let anyone touch it normally she comes right up to us also how are we going to tame the foal if mum won’t let us touch it

2. Spock1

Spock1 What?

I meant born last night not norm autocorrect lol

3. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Is there any shelter out in the field like a field shelter, trees, hedging that they can use ? And was the foal healthy and sturdy with a good coat?

#3 kittih, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  4. Spock1

Spock1 What?

The foal looks very healthy and has a nice coat she’s able to run with her mother and keep up there is one big oak tree in the middle of the field also there is hedging and thick bushes but I’m worried about the foal being wet and especially with the wind but the mum is so big and strong I have bruises and gashes all over my body from trying to get her into the stable

5. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Keeping foals oitside in this sort of weather isnt something i knoe much about but there is a discussion on horseand hound forum about it suggesting that if there is plenty of shelter and the foal ishealthy with a good coat it shoukd be alright. Mum will sheter the foal with her body too.

Here is the thread...
    https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/turning-foals-out-in-the-rain.731760/

I suppose you need to weigh it up agaisnt the mare getting upset. If possibke you could check on them later on to make sure the foal is doing ok. The mare may be happier to come in with the weather being worse.

kimthecat likes this.
  6. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I hope your foal is ok .

kittih likes this.
  7. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums Senior

My Dad bred Welsh cobs and Gypsy cobs his mares always foaled outside not this early though.to be honest as long as your mare has shelter they should be fine,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice