Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can a groomer tell me if this is worth buying

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by DirtyGertie, Oct 24, 2012.

1. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

I put this in Chat to start with, thinking I'd get a reply as it's busier over there. 81 views and only one reply though :( so I thought I'd try on here in case there's anyone around who can help.

I don't want to start grooming Poppy myself (she's a Bichon) but I'm thinking about the odd occasion when her regular appt at the groomers gets delayed. E.g. groomer had to cancel recently, Poppy was due to go two days before her operation. We had to wait an extra two weeks until her stitches were out, by which time she resembled a yeti. In particular the hygiene areas were, well, excessively fluffy . I had to scissor around her botty and lady bits to keep things nice.

Her coat seems to grow very quickly and to keep it nicely manageable for me and comfortable for her during daily brushing, she goes every five weeks. So an extra two weeks makes a lot of difference.

So, just for the odd occasion, and not for any professional looking job, what do you think of this Pet Clipper CP-6810 Set with a Rechargeable Battery: Great Deals on Clippers & Shears at zooplus. On offer at the moment apparently, plus I have a 5% code.

It's OK, you can tell me it's rubbish if you like, I wont be offended .

Just to add, the one reply I got mentioned about ceramic blades not needing oiling. So any suggestions in a similar price range?

2. michelleandant

michelleandant PetForums Member

personal opinion, but i wouldn't bother with that one, i'd pay the extra and buy something that's going to last longer.
    The problem with cheap ones and also ones that are rechargeable is that 1, the blades may not be as sharp as the more expensive ones and therefore snag on your dogs coat and 2, the battery life on the rechargeable ages very quickly so you end up with 10 mins of clipping to 6 hours of charging.

All blades need oiling from what i know, otherwise you end up with knackered blades.

I have the oster pro clippers, there were on offer on zooplus and i had 10% off code, cost me £80. Ok the blades arn't cheap but will last a long long time

edited to add link http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_grooming_care/clippers_shears/oster_clippers/183715

3. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Thanks very much.

I've just looked at the recommended blades for a Bichon and it says a 4F for a pet trim, a 10 and a 15 for pads and tummy. Crikey :eek:. Would another blade be needed for the hygiene areas as well?

I don't want to do home grooming, it's really just for possible future situations where appointments are unavoidably delayed, so not sure it's worth the expense.

I'm sure my late husband's electric razor is in a drawer somewhere, perhaps I should have a look at that :D.

4. Hardwick Hounds

Hardwick Hounds PetForums Senior

That clipper set looks ok for trimming the hygiene areas but thats all. They struggle to cope with dog coats and quickly burn out.

I use Andis as they are a bit smaller than osters and more comfortable to hold. You normally get a #10 blade free with them which are perfect for hygiene areas. You can attach the whal comb attachments (aka snap on combs) to a #10 to achieve a lovely trim on a bichon. The downsides to them are that you have to have a perfectly combed through coat for them to get through and you have to take them off to free them from hair every few strokes. a 4F would be fine for a bichon and would leave the coat about an inch long.

All blades have to be brushed free from hairs after each use and oiled (just dabs on the parts that slide across each other) every so often. If you don't oil the blades, they will get hot very quickly and will burn the dog's skin. They will also burn the clippers out.

Andis and osters should last a pet owner a lifetime if looked after.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice