Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

can a dog recognise another of its own breed?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by mazamara, Jun 7, 2010.

1. mazamara

mazamara PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I witnessed a horrible fight between three dogs at the weekend and it's left me with a few questions:

I have a very submissive and playful collie cross dog and we were happily playing by a local stream where there were a lot of kids as it was half term.
    Then a family turned up with 2 Staffordshire bull terriors and they were also playing in and out of the water with my dog (who was being VERY submissive towards them).
    All of a sudden another staff came along quite passively and was on the lead.
    The 2 staffs that were playing LAUNCHED into an un-provocked attack on the unkown staff. It really was horrible and there was a lot of blood etc..the dogs ear was bitten off - it was just awful - I have never seen dogs fighting before and it really upset me.

So my question is can a staffordshire bull terrior recognise another staffordshire bull terrior? Is that why the fight happened? Why didn't they attack my dog? (thank god they didn't)
    The other staffy seemed quite passive and hadn't even spotted the other two when the fight happened.

any info welcome. Thanks all

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice