Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can a 9 month old puppy have adult dog fish based dry food?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by polishrose, May 23, 2020.

1. calmeelz4

calmeelz4 PetForums Newbie

Hello Everyone,
    I think its all depend on puppy's body weight and age.
    my friend is studying Veterinary science. and he told me this.
    You should check your puppy's weight and age.

#41 calmeelz4, May 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  2. calmeelz4

calmeelz4 PetForums Newbie

How to know that sensitive dogs are having their proper food or not?
    Did you make any survey? suggest.

3. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

Your friend is correct...however it's very different for a puppy who has been with an owner from a young age and a Romanian rescue who just arrived 2 weeks ago.I cannot check my puppy's age as she is a rescue dog. I just have an approximation.

Anyway -she is eating small amounts 3 times a day-she prefers it to twice a day. She is also now eating dog food both wet and dry with some nice liver or chicken as a treat. She still loves cat food so I have to make sure the cat bowls are taken away right after they finish, but overall she's doing well now.

4. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Just throwing it out there as an option, but if your cats don't have mobility issues it might be easier to switch to feeding them on a raised location? Only I suspect this sort of opportunistic scavenging will be a long term thing (would be with most dogs tbh, even without her history) and so moving the cats upwards might be easier in the long run for everyone? I used to feed Moril on the floor, but he now mostly gets fed on the counter/ window sill for similar reasons.

[Apologies if I've said this to you before also; I say it a fair amount to people who haven't thought of it but I can't remember if I've mentioned it on one of your other threads about her already :) ]

Teddy-dog likes this.
  5. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

I have tried and they flatly refuse LOL. They literally sit on the floor waiting.

6. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

That’s a shame as we did what @Torin. suggested and moved the cat food up high as otherwise Teddy would definitely eat it first! Now he can’t reach he’ll have a sniff in that direction but knows he can’t get it

7. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Some cats need a gentler approach - although cats are predators, they're in the middle of the food chain rather than the top, so in certain situations around certain resources they will have prey-type neophobic responses. So rather than suddenly switching it, try gradually introducing the concept:
    • Start with capturing - when the cats are up high in an area that's a reasonable option for them to have their meals, give them a treat. Give them a treat whenever they're up there; make it the BEST area in your house. Keep meals done the usual way.
    • Then once they're reliably moving to the raised location of their own free will in expectation of a treat, start to add in asking them to get to said area for a treat. Don't suddenly swap to only doing this, you still want it to be the best area of the house. Keep meals done the usual way.
    • Once they're reliable at getting themselves to the new feeding area when you ask them to, start asking them to half an hour or so before a standard mealtime. I don't feed at exact timings, but you're sort of wanting the 'hungry, but not yet defaulting to normal mealtime routine'. An afternoon/ evening/ night mealtime is usually easiest for this, rather than breakfast. Start to fade giving them the capturing-type treats and only give them treats there when you initiate this. Don't do a sudden stop, just gradually introduce it.
    • When they're happy getting themselves up before a mealtime, add in a small amount of food up there, say 1/4 or 1/3 of the meal. You might need to initially give the treat and then the bowl, but then you can fade to just the bowl. Then feed the rest of the meal on the floor in the usual way.
    • And then just slowly fade the meal on the floor part. Depending on family/ cats/ home setup it might be easier to move to doing all meals two-part, or it might be easier to do one meal fully up and the others on the floor and going through one by one.

It sounds like a lot of effort written down, but just like dog training steps it's not really that faffy once you get going, and most cats learn pretty quickly. But less of a faff long term in any case!

Teddy-dog likes this.
  8. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

The only trouble is the raised area is only the top of the chest freezer and it's only big enough for 1 cat at a time. One cat might be persuaded to eat there-the other 2 not a chance. They looked at me as if I was crazy. There's literally nowhere else I could use unless it's the kitchen table and that's not an option really. I don't have enough counter space to clear a section for them to eat on. I'll just have to stick with feeding separately. They don't really climb up anywhere high yo try the treat thing with them.The highest they sit is the back of the sofa. Only one will climb on fences etc and he's missing right now :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice