Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can a 9 month old puppy have adult dog fish based dry food?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by polishrose, May 23, 2020.

1. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

Her pet passport says October 24th which I know isn't correct as her sister was adopted a few months ago and hers says September but the original paperwork says August...so she's somewhere around there but no definite date. She looks like she has her adult teeth but they look very new if that makes sense.

2. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums Senior

Everything is still pretty new to her,no matter how well she seems to have settled.I imagine that feed time in the shelter could be quite an intimidating time for a young dog.No matter how good the rescue,they probably don't have time to supervise and make sure the more sensitive dogs eat their food.She could therefore have arrived with a bit of an issue with food,as well as possible teething and food preferences.
    One of our previous dogs was always sensitive about food and could be put off very easily.She was a beautiful rescue of 12months old when she arrived.She had been kenneled with her sister (litter mate). Apparently it was sometime before the rescue realised that the sister wasn't letting her eat and separated them.She was with us until she was almost 16 half and throughout that time her feed times needed to be handled with sensitivity.Our other little beauty could have got her away from her feed (but of course we didn't let this happen).Treats were a different matter,he couldn't have taken a treat off her.She was by far the biggest and they were the best of pals but her early experience with food never seemed to leave her.
    Having to discard food that she won't eat can cost more than providing a more expensive food that she clears up.Eating problems can also lead to health issues in the longer term.
    I guess she has had so little choice over anything in her short life that holding out for the cat food probably makes sense to her.Do the cats have wet food?
    She may like you to stay nearby when she eats,as a safety thing if she's been chased off in the past.

polishrose likes this.
  3. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

I have no idea if she was in a pen alone or with other dogs. I would think with others as I know conditions there aren't the same as here.
    The cats have both wet and dry and she tries to eat both. I have tried to feed them at different times but then the cats meow outside the door and it made no difference as to whether she ate hers or not. I've given her a bit of the fish 4 dogs at lunchtime as she hadn't eaten much at breakfast and she ate it (from my hand and the floor) and was very interested in it so I will try it over the next few days. I also got her some of the fish 4 dogs wet food to see if she prefers that to the meat ones. My cats were very interested in the dry food. I've ordered samples of the cat food from the fish 4 dogs website now because if they all like it I will just order it from there for them as well as Saja. She's currently flaked out in her bed upstairs while I'm on the computer ... I say in...I mean half in half out LOL. I'll give her more wet food for now and then adjust the dry food/wet food proportions later on.
    She definitely likes the company when she eats which surprised me. She doesn't seem bothered by the cats approaching -I do try to keep them away when she's eating but with 3 cats it can be difficult-and she's far more likely to try to approach them anyway. She's a little minx :)

Sarah H likes this.
  4. Silverpaw

Bless her,Maci is a real foodie but he likes me to stay close by when I feed him and if I move he disturbs.I always put his food down,accompanied by his happy dance,tell him to eat slowly and enjoy it and then stand still,not over him but very close by.He can't have fish for dogs food because of the fat content but he likes their treats.
    Having you close by suggests that she's feeling secure with you there .

polishrose likes this.
  5. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

I'm so happy that she feels secure :) She's currently enjoying an antler to chew on.

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

If you soak her dry food in a little water for a while before feeding it will rehydrate and become soft. You can then mash in the wet. She won’t be able to pick it out.

7. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

8. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

I tried that and she refused to eat any at all. Wish I knew what she was eating in Romania. I'd buy it.
    Maybe she's used to only eating once a day? She eats better in the morning than the evening. Or maybe I'm expecting her to eat too much?
    She ate some of the wet fish 4 dogs and then kept heading over to the cat area. Maybe she'll eat better if she has a walk before her meal?

9. Silverpaw

Try not to stress too much about it or she'll pick up on it and associate it with food.Has she had many treats etc and taken the edge off her appetite?
    You could try giving her a small portion so that she had a success in clearing it.
    A lot of the rescues struggle for food over there (I don't know about where Saja was)and food is almost always unreliable in the public shelters.The bigger,stronger dogs usually get what there is.Her experience of food may not have been good,bless her.Would she take it from your hand?

polishrose and Sarah H like this.
  10. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

She will eat treats from my hand and did have a little portion of the dry food from my hand earlier.
    You're right I will calm down about it. I'm just stressed because she really wants the cat food lol.

11. Silverpaw

Ahh,Saja you're a doggie,not a puss cat! What would she do if you put her fishy food in the cat feeding area and then reached it out for her?Or would this just encourage her to want the cat's even more.Did you say her name meant lion? Could be she's a big pussy cat in a dogs clothing.Joking aside,I know how desperate it can feel if you don't think she's having enough.Is she drinking ok?

polishrose likes this.
  12. Silverpaw

Just a thought,if she'll take treats from your hand, could you substitute them for her dried food and see if she'll take a bit that way?

polishrose likes this.
  13. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

I tried putting her food in the cats area but nope. She wasn't fooled. I even put it in a cat bowl lol.
    We have had some success today though. She had a little bit of the dry food but only with potato and chicken and carrot and some of the chicken water mixed in. But she did eat it all for once and looked around for more. So it looks like she eats cooked food ( except rice ) quite nicely. I'll try her with some cooked liver tomorrow with sweet potato and a small portion of the dry food. She wasn't keen on the wet food but tomorrow I'll try warming it up a little bit or maybe warming up some of the chicken water ( can't really call it stock as there's nothing in it except chicken and carrots lol ) She did lick some of the wet food off the lickimat so that was good. She seems to like eating out of human bowls more than metal dog bowls. Seems I'll have to keep cooking for her a bot longer.
    One of the other girls from the same transport group is having the same problem as us except hers will eat rice.
    Another girl said she had to start hers off on pedigree and the cheapest kibble as the good stuff was too rich for her and it's taken 6 months to get her dog eating normally so I'll be patient. Can wet dog food be frozen when opened ? If so I can use a quarter and not worry about the rest going to waste.

14. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

Oh also she's drinking fine and is happy to eat up anything the kids drop on the ground including some frozen yogurt ( by accident not on purpose) and a cheese biscuit. Seems like human food is much more to her liking

15. Silverpaw

Ahh,bless her.The woman who runs the rescue who advertised Maci (he was taken in by a private rescuer who was a volunteer there at the time) cooks for the dogs regularly.She sent me the recipe for tuna cake!So perhaps cooked food is seen as the gold standard there!
    Maci would eat anything when he arrived but he'd always been very very hungry according to his rescuer,who knew of him since he was a youngster.He was only taken in when he was at deaths door because of the number of dogs that were worse than him who needed rescuing.
    It sounds like Saja is doing great, please don't stress, you're doing her proud, she's a lucky girl and I think she knows it.
    It's great that she's drinking well and likes her likimat,we get a lovely happy dance from Maci when his likimat is being prepared.
    Not sure if wet food can be frozen because Maci doesn't leave any,but looking at the ingredients,I would think it should be ok.I guess it would come out really mushy if it wasn't ok but I don't think it would be harmful (hopefully someone will come along and say so if it is).
    I think metal bowls can be a bit clattery,so could scare some dogs.
    Maci says he could clear any food Saja doesn't want,he can arrange transport if he's needed!

polishrose likes this.
  16. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

Haha he's welcome any time -perhaps he could show Saja how to eat nicely

It doesn't matter if the food comes out mushy as I'll be mixing it with other things anyway and warming it up a little bit so it'll all be mushy anyway lol

I'm going to continue spreading the wet food on the lickimat too as that seemed to work much better than a bowl.for her.

It won't do any harm to just use our bowls for now will it?

17. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

i bet it was something cheap, filling and extrememly smelly
    if you think that she might prefer fish based food
    how about trying good old original tinned chappie
    believe me it fills all the top criteria, :Yuck
    isnt the greatest of food long term, but vets still use it as a gentle food after surgery
    If she'll eat chappie, then you can always wean her onto a better food long term

18. Silverpaw

Hehe, Maci's an eating machine but I have to keep an eye on his weight,not a happy combination.
    I don't think it matters what she eats out of as long as she's happy with it.You could put her whole feed on likimat if she'd take it.Licking is supposed to act as a kind of comfort to dogs,so all good if she'll do it.

19. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

She's eating much better-I'm mixing dog food with cooked and will gradually increase the amount of dog food. I am adding some of the meat water to the food and she likes that better than eating dog food by itself-guess she likes the texture more. She insists on me standing next to her while she eats though. I feed her after her walk in the morning as she eats better than and in the evening before the cats eat so there's no tempting cat food smells around. Lunchtime is hit and miss so that's lickimat/dog food as treats time :)

20. Silverpaw

Sounds like you have it sorted.She knows what she likes and obviously finds it more comfortable eating with you next to her.

wee man likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice