Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can a 9 month old puppy have adult dog fish based dry food?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by polishrose, May 23, 2020 at 8:18 AM.

1. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

Saja isn't interested in her puppy food at all,either wet or dry. She will eat the wet if there's nothing else but she won't touch the dry. I've tried mixing it in,giving it separately,giving it cold, giving it warm. I've tried 3 types of dry food all meat based.
    She is intent on getting to the cat food which is all fish based( both wet and dry). She will ignore her dish and go straight to the area I feed the cats in.

Are there any puppy fish based foods out there or is she ok to go on to adult ones? I think she will be ok with the meat based wet food in time but I can't feed her just wet food. Ideally I want to give her 75% dry food and the rest wet.

Milly and Misia ate everything so I've not had this issue before.
    Raw isn't an option as I literally have nowhere to store it so please don't suggest that.

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Yes she’s fine on adult food at this age. However, she’s probably more interested in the cat food as cat food is higher in fat, rather than because she particularly likes fish. But it can’t hurt to try.

You’ve tried quite a few different foods in the very short time you’ve had her. Perhaps it’s not that she doesn’t like the food, but that she’s still settling in. Have you experimented with how/where you feed her? She’ll still be very on edge even if she’s not showing it, so maybe she needs a very quiet room and enough time to calm down by herself before she’s in the right state to eat a proper meal?

Torin., Sarah H and polishrose like this.
  3. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Yes adult will be fine.
    Have a look at the "Millies Wolfheart" site. Here you will find a selection of fishy foods. I would take care though with these better makes, as they can be a bit rich to start with. Millies Wolfheart have a good selection of meat, fish protein levels. I would always suggest on starting with a low% and build up from there. Millies do quiet small bags that are ideal for trials and all of their prices include delivery, so no extra charges.

polishrose likes this.
  4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

There used to be no such thing as puppy food. There was dog food and dog food and dogs did not have all the food intolerances they have nowadays. What have you got against feeding wet food, is it the cost or another reason. It definitely does work out more expensive to feed a good wet food.

polishrose likes this.
  5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Yes, most wet foods are 70 - 80% water with VAT on.
    Agree, puppy food is a new thing, mainly within the last 15 years.
    Just like laundry stain remover; they used to put the stuff in the washing powder/liquid, but now you have to buy it separately.

polishrose likes this.
  6. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

Yep have tried different rooms, times etc. If I leave the room she follows me. If I close the door she whines.
    She eats plain chicken and sweet potato happily and wants more when she's finished it. Doesn't like rice. Will eat Butcher's wet puppy food if I give it to her by itself or on top of the dry food. If I mix it in she will pick out as much wet food as she can and leave the rest. She will leave her bowl and go to the cat bowls and eat whatever's left. If she goes into the kitchen she heads straight for the cat feeding area even if the bowls are not there. So she is eating...just not the dry food. She will however eat the dry cat food if I let her but obviously i don't want her doing that.
    Someone mentioned that the food in Romania is usually fish based so maybe that's why.

7. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

Thank you will take a look.

8. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

I don't mind feeding wet food but as you say it can work out very expensive if it's just wet food and nothing else. It would be OK for a small dog but she's medium size. It also produces a lot of waste-a can every day as opposed to part of a can for a few days and a portion of dry food out of a sack. I've always fed a mixture of wet and dry. And isn't dry better for their teeth as they have to crunch or is that a myth?

9. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

It is a myth that dry kibble is good for teeth and to crunch on.
    Most dogs just swallow without the need to crunch.

polishrose likes this.
  10. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

The teeth thing is mostly a myth. For now, if she’ll eat the wet I would maybe stick with that and try adding in dry (if you want her on a mixture) in a few weeks when she’s a bit more settled. You could try mixing chicken in with her wet food if she likes that. At 9 months I think she could move onto adult food fine.

Some dogs like to work for their food so you could try making some puzzle toys with the kibble and see if that excites her more? Sometimes just spreading it out on the grass can make them eat as they like the search.

polishrose likes this.
  11. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Also Teddy loves the smell of the cat food.
    As has been mentioned, it’s higher in fat and extra smelly so extra tempting for dogs! When we first got him he would sniff the air after the cat food and whine for it. Now he knows he’s not allowed it but he’ll still go sniff near sometimes. He will eat his own food though but he does think the cat food is extra good!

polishrose likes this.
  12. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

I did try putting some in a treat ball and also scattered some on the floor -she ate 1 piece and ignored the rest lol

13. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I wonder if she's used to competing for food too? I don't mean fighting in the mean streets (lol) but with lots of other dogs around there is probably good reason to get in there and eat, whereas now she realises food is on tap and doesn't need to bother if she's not hungry.
    Try bowling the food across the floor and then running to get it yourself. Try to make her want to work for the food and make a game at the same time! If you get there first pick it up and get excited and pretend to eat it, then go again! Make sure you let her win every few goes though or she might not bother!

14. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

You can always add a little wet to kibble, I use add a small amount of a Cesar tray to Dillons.

15. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Could she have teething pain?
    Another thing to try is putting kibble in a blender and reducing it to powder, then mixing it in with wet food or warm water. That way she can't pick out the bits.

16. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

17. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

Thank you all. I did think about teething pain actually as she wants to chew everything she possibly can.

I will try the suggestion of making her work for it and see if that helps. I am going to make her a snuffle mat and also have a kong that she can try this evening to see if she likes it. Whatever she ends up not eating will go to the animal shelter so it won't be wasted.

I tried mixing the wet in and she just picks out all the wet and leaves it.

I did go to pets at home just now and got her some fish 4 dogs so will try her with that. I didn't know they did samples. Sigh.

Sarah H likes this.
  18. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

At 9 months of age the puppy should have finished teething!

19. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

She might be under 9 months-she's a rescue from Romania

20. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Aah haa, ok. I was going by your heading which states 9 month old :rolleyes:!

I hope you solve your problem:)

polishrose likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice