Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can a 14 year old walk dogs?

Discussion in 'Animal Jobs & Working with Animals' started by Aria, Aug 23, 2013.

1. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

If you have agreed price / times / etc... you have a contract.
    A minor cannot be liable and cannot be held to a written or verbal contract so the dog owner is liable for anything that happens, from the dog escaping and causing an accident, to a claim for cleaning bills because the dog jumped up to be friendly.
    So anyone giving a dog to a minor is taking a huge leap of faith that nothing will ever go wrong.
    Not a risk I`d take.
    This is why jobs for minors (working in stables, shops etc) should be supervised ones.

2. CrystalKingdom

CrystalKingdom PetForums Newbie

I guess yo can both do it but you have to consider a few things as other members here said.

1) What happens if you run into another dog and a dog fight starts?
    2) What happens if you run into a cat and the dog starts to chase the car and overpowers you and you loose the dog?
    3) What happens if the dog is scared of loud noises or something and the dog somehow escapes you and you loose track of it?

Walking a dog is sure nice and you may be able to do with your own dogs, but what do you know about strangers dogs? They may tell you that their dogs are "well behaved" etc.. but sometimes people tend to "forget" that their dogs are a bit "spoiled" and have some bad manners and forget to tell you so you might end up walking a dog you can't control and might loose and then get into lots of trouble.

Here in Greece we too have kids walking dogs but most kids who do that in order to earn some pocket money they do it with dogs who belong to relatives or neighbors who's dogs the kids know VERY WELL and again some times there is a grown up supervising the walks.

3. Sosha

Sosha PetForums Senior

Back in the days of my distant youth, I used to walk my piano teachers Rottie. For fun.
    He was huge, I was a midget. We got on fine apart from the odd time he almost dragged me into the thames... Then Piano teacher obviously had a word with his Policeman son, and realised, for the exact reasons above, it wasn't sensible. I was gutted.

4. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

We had a Dalmatian from me being about 8. At 14 my parents use to let me take her for walks. She was fabulous, a bit over protective though. A window cleaner just simply paid a nice compliment about her and she gave him a warning. Not a major problem there.

My friend arranged to meet me at the top of our street. As she was approaching she called the dog. I tried to block the dog from getting past me, she ran between my legs, which caused me to do a full somersault and then being dragged along the pavement. It is comical now but very painful at the time. I should have let her go but my instinct was to keep hold (I didn't think it all happened in a flash).

tbh whilst you are obviously a very sensible person I wouldn't allow you to take my dog for walk, even though my dog is trained and will walk nicely on the lead there is always the unexpected incident that can happen. I wouldn't risk your safety or my dogs.

There are people who would let you take their dog(s) for a walk, and would be grateful - please bear in mind what happen to me could happen to you. For me it could have been much worse if my friend had been at the other side of the road when she called her, I wouldn't have been able to write this post and warn you of the potential risks.

5. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

if the place is genrally safe...and dog well trained ,placid and not too strong...

my son can walk our dog..he is 13 ...
    I walked my dog at 11...
    I would trust someone I knew well with a dog like Cheeky ..less with silly scrip..but my niece walked him! at 15!

6. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

I wouldn't let a fourteen year old walk my dogs, no matter how much I liked or knew them.

When I had a woman come in to assist with my older dog, he wasn't being walked by her and he was looked after by my family member, still she had a contract with my dogs details and vet details and she had insurance in place.

If something happens to the dog, or the dog hurts another out on a walk, you will be liable. You can say you will only choose well behaved dogs, but dogs can be unpredictable and when you go to see them they seem fine, but when they see a cat or a bird, they go crazy. When dogs get spooked they can back out of their collars or rip the lead from your hands, for all of these reasons you need insurance because if a persons dog were to be hurt, you would be liable to pay for it, not their own insurance.

What would happen if the dog were to become lame or ill? They may be insured, but maybe not and even if they are some vets want paying first.

Maybe try volunteering somewhere, I know my vets helps younger kids out if they want to work with animals. Or some rescues may let you help out and the experience will be good if you still want to do this when you are old enough to go it alone.:)

You are very trusting, to allow a fourteen year old with three posts on a forum to walk your dog.

7. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

You have a good point, knowing your dog and knowing the person who would like to walk the dog.

Our children are adults ranging from 28 to 33. I have no problem with my son walking Duke (a Staffie), but I have reservations with my step-son walking him. He hasn't been brought up with dogs. He has no idea of the risks with walking a Staffie or how strong they are. The fact that Duke will wag his tail in readiness to greet people in the Street doesn't not mean people want to meet him and he needs to be on a short lead with verbal commands.

We did have a problem one evening where my step-son was willing to walk Duke. :eek: I very nicely suggested I would walk him later.

8. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

A girl used to walk my dogs for me while I was on holiday from about the age of 12. She is sensible and knew my dogs so I trusted her. She did it for about three years, but she's too busy now. Still, I would be happy to let her walk my dog, but not a business with 14 year olds, sorry.

I'd want someone who could drive incase my dogs needed to go to the vet.

9. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

I don't think being able to drive would be a requirement for me. Simply because on a walk with a dog the car is either at home or in a car park, you still have to get the dog to the car.

imo a mobile phone is more essential than a car as a dog walker can call a pet friendly taxi service. The vets we have used and use have their own van to collect pets. I would suggest the young person makes enquiries as to the availability of such services and negotiates a deal, in case of an emergency.

10. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

Well yes, but here there are no taxi's, mobile phones don't work either! So for me personally, a car is essential if I were to use a dog walker.

11. Cruella De Vil

No I personally wouldn't use a 14 yr old to walk dogs, as dogs can be unpredictable, BUT, is is it really that different to allowing a 13 yr old babysit kids, who can be even more unpredictable than the dogs?!

12. catzisme

catzisme PetForums Junior

In fairness, i wouldn't let a 13 year old watch my children either! sorry OP, its not that i have anything against you, i don't know you, but i think like others have said, i would not trust my puppies. Also, i am an adult woman and i have trouble sometimes controlling my dalmatian puppy, so i think you might struggle. Perhaps look into doing house sitting, or pet sitting, till you are old enough to dog walk?
    Or perhaps speak to people whose dogs you know well, and walk them to start with?
    For me i would say no based on the surprising strength of a dog (for example a dog who can tell a bitch is on heat) and also the lack of ability to get a dog to the vets urgently.
    Just my thoughts, but don't be disheartened.

also, cruella de vil, i feel like i should be worried. i have two dalmatian pups. :001_huh:

Mese likes this.
  13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It's not enough to have the phone number of a vet. You have to have the phone number of each dog's own vet. That vet should have their medical history. The dog might be on medication that conflicts with treatment offered by a second vet who didn't know about the medication the dog was on.

There's no way I'd let a 14-15 year old walk my dogs. I think it would be a rare person of that age who could assert themselves appropriately in an emergency situation such as a dog fight or road accident.

14. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I wouldn't let my 21 year old sister walk mine - she has no clue, bless her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice