Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

can 2 female and 1 male rabbit live together?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by rabbitlover7777, May 9, 2010.

1. rabbitlover7777

rabbitlover7777 PetForums Newbie

I currently have 2 female rabbits both 3 month old and they live in peace

what would happen if i get another male rabbit to live with them?

will the male rabbit mate with both females or will it only choose one?

please tell me if this is a good idea or not

2. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

So long as you get everyone neutered and all their hormones have died down it can work really well. I have an indoor trio of two does and one buck and they get on really well together, you will have to introduce them on netural territory (somewhere that none of them have been before like the bathroom.) and keep an eye on them to start with just incase anything kicks off :thumbup:

3. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Get both your females spayed before thinking of putting a male in with them.

If your thinking of breeding forget it unless you know four generations of their history to lessen chances of hereditory problems like bad teeth.

The male will most definately mate with both females within seconds of being in there and you'll have two pregnant females and lots of hard work ahead of you.

You can have two females and a male live happily together with no problems if all are neutered (including the male) and they are bonded properly on neutral territory.

GSDlover4ever likes this.
  4. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

your 2 females are also likely to start fighting at the 4-6 month mark depending on when they mature, spaying cost between £40 - £100 depending on where u go. Also a pair of females can quickly change in to a brother and sister combo if u got them from a pet shop.

5. BattleKat

BattleKat PetForums Senior

I'm also wondering about this. I have 2 roughly 8 month old spayed does which are small breed and am planning to add a french lop buck to the pair.
    would it be ok to introduce them while he's young and get him neutered when he's old enough or should I keep him separate until he's neutered?
    What are the chances it will break the existing bond?

6. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

I don't see why not :) so long as they are all spayed and neutered so you don't end up with babies and fighting!

7. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Personally I would wait until the buck is neutered before bonding them, if he starts to hit puberty before you got him neutered he might bother the girls with his constant humping which could turn into a fight :scared:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice