Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can’t leave puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by PugPup, Jan 19, 2019.

1. PugPup

PugPup PetForums Newbie

hi there

We have had our 17 week old pug for the last 6 or so weeks and we have an issue with leaving him alone.

When going out we originally used a crate in the kitchen but he was constantly howling and targeting the latch to get out and managed to get out on 2 occasions. He instantly deficates in the cages and is that distressed he’s jumping straight into it and getting it everywhere and also peeing.

Because of this we used a rabbit run fence in the kitchen to give him more room but watching him on camera he was still the same although he never goes to settle in his cage he always lies on the kitchen floor.

We then removed game him the full kitchen but blocked off the dining table in case he chews but touch wood he’s not chewed anything yet. This didn’t work either he just stays at the door all the time.

I’ve tried training him by pretending I’ve left and going back a minute later and giving him a treat but my persistence doesn’t seem to be paying off

The dog is a great dog and is as good as gold however the separation is a real problem because of neighbours etc.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Your puppy is showing signs of separation anxiety. To change this behaviour you will have to go back to basics and build up his confidence of being on his own, starting by his having calm time away from you when you are in the home and building up to being able to leave him for a few minutes by going out of the house. It can take time to rebuild his confidence but separation anxiety does not go away on it's own I'm afraid so you will have to be patient and work up gradually to leaving him.

There is a comprehensive sticky thread on the subject here - SEPARATION ANXIETY

J

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. danielled

danielled Guest

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice