Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Campylobacter

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by growler1961, Nov 3, 2007.

1. growler1961

growler1961 PetForums Junior

if any body is suffering with this nasy bug i would like to share my experience with you !

two years ago we brought home a new pup he had been fine for the first 10days then he became very ill every thing he ate went straight through him the vet could not give me treatment untill they had lab results back this period seemed endless the poor pup was getting weaker every day
    Camplylobacter was the result my vet seems to be dealing with this as a every day problem very common in our town
    the only treatment was antibiotics this was fine just great to get something to help the poor pup it was a seven day course he looked better every day
    fantastic! but after he came of his medicine 10 days latter it returned
    so we started more antibiotics but this time all my animals were treated
    as recommened by my vet
    but every time my pup had been off the medicine for ten days he was very ill
    the only solution was to treat him again more antibiotics

2. growler1961

this continuied for the next 9 months antibiotics on repeat percription seemed to be the only answer with conventional medicine
    at my wits end i started to look on line for a answer
    i found a report from america
    there was a food poising to many people at a firms dinner
    the only people not to have become ill were the ones eating garlic bread as a starter
    so at this stage any thing was worth a try
    i started giving my dogs garlic tabs
    im so happy as this was the last time my dog was ill & never used antibiotics since if any one is suffering the same problem give it a try you have nothing to loose please contact me if you get the same results

3. growler1961

since i started to use garlic i have never found a flea either
    i breed staffords & the dam was given a small amount through pregnancy
    when i wormed the litter at two weeks (normally a messy job ) not a worm to be seen either

4. dh.dti

dh.dti Guest

Thanks for the good info
    ;)

5. carol

carol PetForums VIP

hi
    ive been giving my dog garlic for years they even like to fresh stuff, if i cook them some dog beef i always put it in their food when cooking

never had any prob's or found any flea's
    good stuff
    the older dogs also have cod liver oil the youngers have some once a week does their coat good
    the other thing i keep around is arrow root powder thats good for upset stomach's as well.

6. growler1961

i was so impressed with the garlic that i now use herbal treatment before i visit the vet has any body heard of a company called dorwest?
    highly reccomened you can email or phone them with your problem and they suggest treatment normally you receive your order the next day
    we have 6 dogs and have used the herbal treatments for many different problems now its been a real benifit to me & my dogs

7. Esined

Esined PetForums VIP

I took a look at that site and it is good stuff, will be putting an order in,
    ;);)

8. basi

basi PetForums Senior

I have bought garlic tablets from Dorwest Herbs for a few years now. I have never had a problem with fleas either. They are a great company to deal with very helpful if you have a problem with your dog and not sure what to give them.

9. Isnt garlic toxic for cats?

10. Still - I'd rather not to risk...............

11. Pamnhols

Pamnhols PetForums Newbie

Hi, we had some pups once with Campylerbacter and our vet said none of the dog antibiotics worked against it and prescibed us human stuff. It is Banana flavoured, the pups loved it and it is called erythromycin. it sorted them out in days and it never came back again. so probably worth asking your vet to order that for you. Also it is very contagious to humans so make sure lots of handwashing etc. after handling pup.

12. Saynamore

Saynamore Banned

Yes erythromycin is the treatment for campylobacter in both dogs and cats ;)

13. sweetpea1238

sweetpea1238 PetForums Junior

hi-i know this post is from a while back but we have thee same problem with our miniature english pup Georgy.Campylobacter keeps coming back.im very tempted to try the garlic capsules.Was everything ok after that? thanks-sweetpea

14. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It's rather irresponsible to use herbal treatment if you don't know exactly what it is you're treating. If there is the slightest doubt about the diagnosis, a trip to the vet is essential. You might be treating for one ailment or symptom whilst overlooking a serious underlying cause.

15. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

I have always given my guys Garlic and Brewers yeast tabs every day, having 5 dogs and a cat(who I dont give it too) non have ever had fleas, although it does not work on ticks. edited to add I give this to my lot for the flea rememdy only.

Mo

16. Felixandmilo

Felixandmilo PetForums Newbie

I know this is an old thread but would like to add this as it may be beneficial to other dog owners.
    I have a jack Russell cross chihuahua and he was diagnosed with campy know as camplyobacter, he was treat with 10 days of erythromycin 2.5ml three times per day, he was then tested two weeks later and it was clear however he has it back now about four weeks between. Being treated again as above.
    The vet has said campy does not culture that well in the labs therefore we cannot donate the species type, and also this means the last test may have been contaminated. He has three dogs of his own and all have had campy back two or three times. Our dog also has itching which he has said may be linked with campy but not proven.
    After researching many articles for hours on end I found the following, only 6 percent of humans have been found to contract this from dogs, so it seems its not a high risk, although please remember to always wash hands and keep hygiene the upmost importance. Dogs like many farm animals and cats carry campy in their bowels, but only some show symptoms.
    Once dogs or individuals have had campy it seems then they become a carrier and pass campy in their stools, campy can live in the stool for at least three days. So again removing stools upmost importance.
    Campy can also cause other complications which you can read about on other health websites like control diseases sites etc.
    Now my puppy is now having this for second time and my other dog who is 7 has it this time too, although the 7 year old has had colitis for years now am starting to wonder if it was campy, as he was never tested for colitis, and after noting that adult dogs pass less campy than puppies. I came across this site and link and found the garlic post quite interesting, as I have used dorwests tree barks powder for my older dog and had great success with it.
    So I researched garlic and campy, I found the same sort of information as the original poster on this thread, that people did not get food poisoning after eating garlic with their meals or before.
    Then I found this article http://adc.bmj.com/content/81/3/278.1.extracthttp://adc.bmj.com/content/81/3/278.1.extract
    proving garlic can help.
    My dogs are going on dorwests garlic and fenugreek tablets as soon as mess are finished, have also showed this to our vet who agrees it's definately worth a try, and considering garlic has antibacterial and antibiotic properties I am hoping for good results.
    Also please remember while your dog is on antibiotics give natural yoghurt with probiotics, to give good bacteria into system while bad bacteria is being eliminated.
    I hope this will be beneficial to a lot of people out there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice