Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Camping....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by francesandjon, Jul 13, 2009.

1. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

Hi,

Not sure if this has been asked/discussed before....

Does anyone take their dogs camping?

Where do they sleep? Car, your tent, their own tent etc?

Do they sleep as well as they do at home?

Would you recommend it? lol

Thanks

:)

2. 3 red dogs

3 red dogs PetForums VIP

Our 2 were out on the road with us for 16 days last year, and they loved it, we took both crates and they slept in the awning with no bother. I guess the only thing we founda problem was going to to 'dog restricted places' as you are not allowed to leave your dogs unattended at the sites we visited .. rightly so i feel, The dogs were to knackered out by all the walking and running about to create any grief at night, but we did ask the campsite owners to put us as far asway from other campers just in case .

3. Oblada

Oblada Guest

My boy (14 months SBT) went camping with us for the first time this week :D

He slept in the tent with us...(small tent)

It took some getting used to...funnily enough at first he was VERY scared of being in the tent (and he is normally afraid of NOTHING whatsoever :p), especially if me or my OH were to leave the tent and leave him in with only one of us, he would shake like a leaf until the other came back...
    Then he started barking at every noise - people, dogs in the fields etc...tried some firm "no!", tried to ignore..eventually had to resort to some water squirting (he doesnt like water!) and after 2 times he got the plot and stopped barking!
    He also had problems adapting to our inflatable mattress LOL but thats quite normal..
    The first night was difficult, he was very clingy onto me, was almost sleeping on my face lol and I did not sleep well at all...
    but by the 3rd night he was sleeping like a baby ;)

I think its great to take the dogs camping, im looking forward to our next trip!

My boy loved the fields, running around (after hares!:eek:), seeing a dear for the first time LOL

It requires a bit of organisation but its worth it!

xx

4. MoodyMare

MoodyMare PetForums Junior

Hi there, I think it's a great idea! We go camping every year to Shell Island in Wales and have always took our mini Shnauzer Henry and have never experienced any problems, he always slept in the tent with us and was really quiet, however, this year we will be taking along our 2 pups (Great Dane & Collie), It wouldn't be fair to leave them at home with my husband as he's too busy with the farm to look after them so they'll be coming camping with us :eek:hmy: I've just bought a pop-up shelter off ebay for them as i don't fancy them doing their toilet in my brand new tent, i'll also be buying one of those screw in the ground tie ups so they can't wander far, my husband thinks i'm bonkers taking 4 kids and the pups but it's somewhere i have took the kids every year and they would be devestated if we didn't go as it's the only hoildays we do. It would be an idea to take your dog's bed so there is some sort of familiarity for him and a 'dog friendly' site always helps!!
    Adele x

5. carol

carol PetForums VIP

were off this weekend camping up to sale, taking some dogs they sleep in the tent with us but im taking a dog crate for shadow or were just not get any sleep with her jumping on us. i also take the big dog hooks you screw in the ground so they come and go while the tents open but cant run off and are on a long line

6. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Camping is an ideal holiday to take dogs on we take ours although a little different as we take the caravan, but have seen lots of people on sites camping with theirs and the dogs seem to love it, most sites are dog friendly although some have breed restrictions.

7. IHG

IHG PetForums Newbie

We are away with BeauKita first week in August. She will crated in the awning and tethered to a dog screw so she can get about. We tend to put the screw in the awning so she can retreat inside if she gets too hot or if she starts getting attention she does not want. Although to be fair she is always normally up for a fuss we have taught her to go in the awning if she is approached with none of us around. I just wish some kids were as well trained......

She loves her holidays as much as we do.

8. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Oh I remember it well. We took our collie cross and our shih tzu with us two years ago, they both slept in our tent at the side of my husband (hee hee). Went out for pee's etc in the mornings no problems, but then they saw other dogs going walks and started to make a bee line for the door (fly screen). Both ended up with their faces up against the screens moaning to get out. Barking for the first half hour then just the moaning after that. Didnt have a water pistol to squirt them with then, but hubby said he did have a mallet (joking). They were fine after 3 days which was brill for them but not for us as we only went for 4 days. I would take them again though, as I dont like to put them into kennels for that short period. We are going to get a spike thing to put into the ground to attach their long long leads to so they can move around and lay where they want in our pitch, also a pop up tent of their own. That should be fun......will let you know when we go away this summer.

9. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Camping is always fun with dogs we took Buster and Silas they loved it. We had a pop up tent for them and then a stake to tie them to during the day when we weren't off hiking etc. They loved it and slept as well as they do at home mostly because they were too tired from the hiking and kayaking. I highly recommend it

10. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I agree, i have never known such trusting children, as children on a campsite mine love kids and are so friendly but these kids and parents dont know this.

11. scarlet_rain

scarlet_rain PetForums Junior

I would say it depends on the size and temperement. Luckily my dog is preety well behaved and so will share the tent, Im not so sure about my pup tho as she would probably wonder what the hell was going on, although saying that, dogs are pretty adaptable to most situations :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice