UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be camping with fluff-for-brains soon and am wondering what you campers think are essentials, both dog-related and human-related?

I've got a tent (obviously), a chair and a sleeping bag, and am just about to buy a stretcher bed and a lantern.

What else do I need? I'm only camping for 2 nights and it's very near a town so am not going to bother with cooking stuff.

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
Dogless, think my camping list would be somewhat different from yours then, mine includes the duvet, pillows, hot water bottle etc as well as a bed! lol
Is that what they call 'glamping'?
I have a sleeping bag and a thermarest and that's about it!!

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
Really? Isn't it uncomfortable just on the ground? And cold? I wouldn't bother with a bed if I had a decent mattress.

Oh yes I will be bringing her crate too, although I doubt she'll use it!
I have one of these thin mats - they are very good: Thermarest

Thermal mug!! That is what you need and maybe something like a Jetboil for brews!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have one of these thin mats - they are very good: Thermarest

Thermal mug!! That is what you need and maybe something like a Jetboil for brews!
Ah I see. I was imagining you straight on the ground!

Oh I've got a Thermal mug, must remember to bring it!

Is a Jetboil something that boils water? I might just hope that one of the people I'm camping with have one :p

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
A corkscrew that goes in the ground to attach your dog to, and a lever of some kind to help you dig it in if the ground is dry (HAHAHAHA after this year's rain). Check out the length of lead you can leave your dog on and make sure you've got one. Most campsites are dogs on leads and you can't tie them to the tent or a chair.

Sunscreen - yes you can get sun burn in October (I have had it in November on some rare years).

Lots of snuggly blankets for your dog because it's very very very cold at night in a tent this time of year, and solid slip on type shoes in case you have to go outside at night, or even first thing in the morning. Very dewy this time of year!

Even in a tent I take a small chemical toilet. The dogs don't care and I hate getting dressed while busting for the toilet - the cold will make you feel it more.

Have fun!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A corkscrew that goes in the ground to attach your dog to, and a lever of some kind to help you dig it in if the ground is dry (HAHAHAHA after this year's rain). Check out the length of lead you can leave your dog on and make sure you've got one. Most campsites are dogs on leads and you can't tie them to the tent or a chair.

Sunscreen - yes you can get sun burn in October (I have had it in November on some rare years).

Lots of snuggly blankets for your dog because it's very very very cold at night in a tent this time of year, and solid slip on type shoes in case you have to go outside at night, or even first thing in the morning. Very dewy this time of year!

Even in a tent I take a small chemical toilet. The dogs don't care and I hate getting dressed while busting for the toilet - the cold will make you feel it more.

Have fun!
I'm in NZ ;)

It's not a real campground, it's at an agility show, i.e. in a paddock! I was thinking of getting one of those temporary fencing pole things to attach her to - she'll never be out of my sight anyway.

I don't think I can stretch to a chemical toilet, but I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
With regards to being cold direct on the ground, its generally found to be colder on a camp bed because the air circulates under it. Thermarests are great and if you feel the cold an extra blanket to go under your sleeping bag is a useful addition.
HTH
Jessy

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Gah these important things are left out lol! At least you won't need a wooly hat when you're in bed, but is it spring over there? You might still be chilly at night, so take more than you need.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With regards to being cold direct on the ground, its generally found to be colder on a camp bed because the air circulates under it. Thermarests are great and if you feel the cold an extra blanket to go under your sleeping bag is a useful addition.
HTH
Jessy
So I'm better without a camp bed? I don't know if I can get a thermarest. Would I be better on a few of those thin foam mattresses or a camp bed?

Gah these important things are left out lol! At least you won't need a wooly hat when you're in bed, but is it spring over there? You might still be chilly at night, so take more than you need.
Yes it'll still be nippy :) My sleeping bag is a really warm one (kept me warm in the African desert in winter), and no doubt I'll have a little furry body in there too!

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
when we've camped in cooler weather we've still used air beds but put a camping mat underneath and a fleece blanket on top of the air bed but underneath us - kinda sandwhiching the air bed.

Have fun - I love camping with the dogs :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is an airbed a better option than a stretcher?

Hmm, who's the camping rookie? :eek:

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Is an airbed a better option than a stretcher?

Hmm, who's the camping rookie? :eek:
No idea ;)
I've always just used air beds - no reason though

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I sleep on a sleeping mat with a blanket under the sleeping bag - and half of it draped over the top of the bag. The blanket helps insulate from the ground, and stops the top section from coming off so much (sleeping bags are slippery!).

Those camping beds with legs I find really uncomfortable, and they do tip!

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
baked beans, if your flash take sausages too

i make it a rule to be up first and waft the smell of brekky across the site, winds everyone up real good

our last outdoors escapades were in my LDV Convoy camper (Chuggalugg) we did Snowdonia, Cornwall, Somerset (without dogs though) but had to sell her due to under useage, not flash but cheap enough

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.