Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Campayla Bacter in puppies

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by jasper88, Apr 22, 2011.

1. jasper88

jasper88 PetForums Newbie

Hi

I have a 5 month old springer since we have had him he has had diarohea, eventually he has been diagnosed with campalyer bacter and was prescribed erythromycin - has been on this now for 2 weeks. Today he has started again the diaorrea (spelt wrong) and it's like water. He is fine in himself but I am worried again, looks like the antibiotics not working. I have anothe pup aged 6 months and he is fine jsut worried he might pick it up. Any one any ideas.

#1 jasper88, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  2. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Sorry I cant help - didnt want to read and run without saying I hope your pup is better soon.
    Someone more knowledgable will be along soon I'm sure, may be if you do a search a few threads will come up and you can have a look thro them for a few tips:D

3. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

Go back to your vet with a fresh sample and have a chat.

Also get your puppy onto some natural yoghurt to help counter the antibiotics.

4. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Soz ..i have no advice health wise for your Dog...just for you, be very careful my hubby caught it off our first bullterrier (who caught it through eating chicken crap)

he was so ill we even had the enviromental health at the house :rolleyes: thinking it was through food poisoning

...hope he is back to himself soon

juliex

5. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Go back to your vet. Erythromycin is the correct antibiotic but he may need another course as it can be difficult to clear.
    Your other puppy can indeed catch it and so can you.

6. JohnT

JohnT PetForums Junior

7. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I am presuming this antibiotic is the same one given to humans? If so, I had it once from the dentist- and lost half a stone in 3 days, from dire rear. The doc said its a brilliant tablet-unless it disagrees with you. Sounds like it could be the same for your pup. Hope hes feeling better soon.:)

8. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Eurthromycin is the usual antibiotic given. When you said he has been diagnosed, I assume they did a faecal sample test and culture to make sure it was campylobacter and ruled out any other bacterial infections or parasites like coccidia or giardia too? It can take a long course to get rid of it completely so may just need more, or maybe it is resistent in which case there are other antibiotics they can use, although the one you have is 1st choice usually.

Eurthoromycin also doesnt "agree" with everyone and I dont see that dogs would be an exception.

It would be an idea to discuss it with your vet, to see if you need to do further tests to make sure,and maybe, if need be change to a different antibiotic.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice