Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Calpol for dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by vicky10, Aug 8, 2009.

1. vicky10

vicky10 PetForums Member

Our (almost) 2 year old is in season and seems to be having a bad time of it. My husband has said that his mom gives her dogs childs Calpol to help with the pain. Does anyone else use this, or is there anything I can get to give her?

2. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan PetForums Member

calpol is basically a paracetomol suspension at a reduced dose from adult dose

i googled this for you and all the answers said no, based on its toxic effects to major organs

this is also true for ibuprofen based product such as calprofen. i remember speaking to my vet about ibuprofen once, apparently its fatal to 1 in 1000 dogs, but there are no pre-conditions that would predict fatality

it would be an incredible and completely unnecessary risk to administer this to your dogs when you can purchase metacam on internet....

Fleur likes this.
  3. vicky10

vicky10 PetForums Member

Thanks - I'll give the vets a ring and get a prescription.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice