Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Calming products?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by TTB1, Apr 15, 2019 at 10:31 PM.

1. TTB1

TTB1 PetForums Junior

Hi,

A member of my family will be having surgery next week and I’ll be going to stay with her for a couple of days with the dog. We have stayed on a couple different occasions before for different lengths of time but my dog is always quite hyper when we’re there. I think she gets a bit anxious being away from home.

I’ve got our days planned out to keep her occupied and tired but I need a backup just in case. There’s loads of different calming products available to buy but does anyone have any experience with them and know what works?

Thanks

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums Senior

I don’t know anything about calming products but I imagine someone else on here will have good advice.

I do have an an anxious dog who hates change so, just in case you don’t already, make sure your dog knows where his bed/places to go are in the strange house.

3. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

Our anxious girl gets Nutracalm capsules daily which we find helps her a little, and she gets skullcap and valerian as well if she’s a lot more stressed than usual. We also use an Adaptil plug-in diffuser.
    It’s worth nothing that what works for one dog may not be effective for another and is often a case of trial and error unfortunately.

4. Taz69

Taz69 PetForums Newbie

I have no experience with calming products but I wouldn't feel comfortable with drugging my dog without advice from a vet and then only in extreme circumstances.

If I needed anything like that I look into anxiety blankets such as a thundershirt type product.
    With excitement I would try to encourage calmness by limiting fussing an excited dog and paying loads of attention when my dog was in a calm state.

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

As you haven't got any experience with calming products you're probably not aware that there are a whole lot of products available that aren't even remotely like drugs. Obviously if something is a drug, it's only available from a vet anyway.

OP: my experience with calming products isn't great. My younger dog struggled with separation anxiety when he was young and had an adaptil collar which really didn't seem to do anything. My older dog freaks out and gets hugely stressed at fireworks so we have tried calming products, thundershirt, and last year we tried two different drugs from the vet, neither of which did anything (not the drugs' fault, just not strong enough for her). However, I know that lots of dog owners find various things do work, and there's really no harm in trying some of the over the counter products. Just be aware they sometimes take a bit of time to work so you might need to start them before you actually need them.

magpi and Burrowzig like this.
  6. TTB1

TTB1 PetForums Junior

Thanks for the responses, I’m not sure a plug in would do any good for us as she hates any sprays/freshener type things so she’d probably avoid it like the plague. The same can be said for thundershirts as she hates putting her winter coat on so the result would most likely be more stress.

The last time we stayed we did so for four days. When she was bounding through the house I left her to it. She went for long walks in new places, played a lot in the garden ect and seemed to have an endless amount of energy. I praised calm behaviour and encouraged it often with food filled toys. This will be our fourth time staying so I’m hoping she’ll be more settled but if she’s bounding through the house she could potentially injure my nan. As McKenzie has said the products you can buy online are mostly herbal and pose little to no risk. I wouldn’t give her drugs without a vets approval and I would need a prescription anyway.

I’ve found Lintbells YuCALM which have positive reviews online as well as skullcap. The skullcap looks like it might be a bit more affective for us as it says for excitability and can also be used for travel sickness which is a bonus as she can get travel sick. Hopefully I won’t need it but better to be safe than sorry. Thanks again.

7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

You mean like belladonna, hemlock, monkshood, foxglove and mandrake?

Torin., JoanneF and SusieRainbow like this.
  8. magpi

magpi PetForums Member

We give Belle Zylkene for her anxiety, which we were advised to give her by the vet. You can buy it over the counter, but needs a few weeks to build up in the dogs system

9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Maybe take a baby gate to put up to prevent her from running about in front of your Gran, or put her lead on and encourage her to settle next to you, rather than having to shut her away or have her charging about.

My rescue settled better in the early days in a slightly restricted area of kitchen and hall when left, rather than having the whole house when he tended to wind himself up ;)

magpi likes this.
  10. bogdog

bogdog PetForums Senior

Adaptil plug in, Adaptil collar, Adaptil spray
    Pet Remedy plug in, Pet Remedy spray.

Sprays on the bedding or bandanna, the plug ins evaporate, they do not spray or make noise. Both products can be usedat the same time.

Good luck.

11. Animallover26

Animallover26 I am me.

Rescue Remedy for Pets.

I use RR for my dog and it does help him, I put four drops on a treat and he will lick the RR off the treat so he likes the flavour, you can give it as often as needed and you can put it in their water as well I believe.

12. TTB1

TTB1 PetForums Junior

I honestly didn’t think they’d be so many to choose from aha.
    My dog can open and jump over a babygate so if she was on one it wouldn’t do much to stop her.
    Luckily my na lives close to some large parks and has a good sized garden so she’ll have full access to the garden as well. I’ve ordered a couple bones for her to have to so fingers crossed she’ll be content and happy and they’ll be no need for any pills.

13. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

I use Johnson's calmeze, for general this might be a bit tough for you situations. And the adaptil fast acting tablets for - you're going to hate this ( fireworks) type situations

14. Pixie2010

Pixie2010 PetForums Senior

I have a very stressful dog. Separation anxiety, fear aggression etc etc. Have tried zyklene, with some success. A similar product from vet uk, but as the effect lessened, tried skullcap and valerian tablets (from Amazon). These work brilliantly. She has 2 in her food, and help with all aspects of her behaviour except the fear aggression. I can now leave the house without her screaming!
    For firework/noise issues my older girl has Naturcalm (sp) over the counter from the vets!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice