Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Callistemon pruning

Discussion in 'Gardening Advice' started by Mrs Funkin, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Hello all,

I have ventured out of my usual home of Cat Chat to ask if anyone knows about Callistemon pruning? I have tried googling and the RHS and even Australian forums as it's from that part of the world. However, I am stumped about how and when to prune, as I've never been able to figure it out and we've lived here five years with no pruning (except the occasionally obviously dead bit!). They are currently flowering, so I'm obviously not doing anything with them currently.

All help greatly appreciated, thank you in advance if anyone knows the answer.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I found lots of info on the RHS website.

Apparently, Callistemon are pruning group 8.

Take another look on RHS.org.uk and search for Callistemon.

3. Mrs Funkin

Thanks @Lurcherlad I recall reading about pruning group 8 but still not really feeling like I knew what to do! Enthusiastic but hopeless is my style when it comes to gardening :)

I would be interested if anyone knows where to prune back to. Shall I do it just behind where the flowers have been? Do I do it further back to take away the old “bobbles” that are left behind from previous flowerings? I’ve tried YouTube too and just got more confused.

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I don’t have one, but I’d prune back to a leaf joint just tidying the shape after the flowers go over and trimming off any bits and pieces, including crossing stems etc. that spoil the look.

If it needs bringing back hard if it’s out of hand it’s usually recommended only cut back around a third each year.

I tend to take the risk and prune hard all over and cross my fingers! ;)

5. Mrs Funkin

I was tempted by hard pruning last year LL, then I freaked out and lost my bottle as they are such lovely shrubs and I didn't want to kill them off. Maybe a bit more of a prune this season...eeek!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice