Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Calling any saluki owners?!!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jenna Paulsen, Jun 30, 2020.

1. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I forget that normal people don't have trash containers in closets LOL

We finally got a locking trash bin for the kitchen and our great dane bitch who I had successfully trained to leave food on the counter tops just sat and watched the kids work the new trash can for a few days, walked up to it, hit the lever on the bottom with her foot, worked the latch with her mouth and opened it. :rolleyes:
    Sat there looking all proud of herself too. Look mom! New puzzle toy!

caterpiller and Sarah H like this.
  2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Gotta love a problem solver! My friend's greyhound could not only open the fridge and oven, but would try to steal stuff still cooking on the hob! (To be fair to her she was an abused rescue greyhound, but still....) And another of her rescue lurchers used to steal one slice of toast out the toaster when it was done. It took my friend a while to work out he was stretching across the counter and stealing one piece, she thought he was getting it as it popped up!

Jenna Paulsen and O2.0 like this.
  3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

You know, interestingly, our Lunar was a starved rescue when we got him and he was never a food thief. Breez on the other hand never knew a day without every one of her needs met and was a sneaky bitch. She didn't want the food as much as she just wanted to prove she could bypass our attempts at blocking her :D

Jenna Paulsen and Sarah H like this.
  4. Jenna Paulsen

Jenna Paulsen PetForums Newbie

Naa I've seen many dogs do it with the bin but not like he does, if you seen it, it would break your heart too. The last owners had another dog but that one was well fed n he was just a skinny mess bless him! Yea like I said he gets good food n stuff just the poor sod doesnt put weight on haha! I'll try 4 meals a day see if that helps him! Feel for any animal who has to go through that shit like it's awful, makes me so sad! I used to have an ice cold heart until I had Storm and now I'm just a complete soppy mess hahaha!

5. Jenna Paulsen

Hahahaha that's so funny pmsl, Storms the same hes so sneaky! Funny how they try tho eh, god loves a trier hahaha!

6. Jenna Paulsen

Such clever creatures haha this is so funny tho, dogs are just the best! Ya get such a laugh and wholesome feeling out of being a doggy mam or dad tho dont ya

7. Jenna Paulsen

Nothing worse when alls they want is love, breaks me it does! I cry more over animals than I do humans hahaha

8. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

But you have him now, are feeding him well, and you too are struggling to keep weight on him. For all you know, the last owners were feeding him just as well as the other dog, he just wasn't putting weight on.
    If he's still hungry after a meal, add more to his meal. I don't know that I'd go to four meals a day, just give him bigger meals.

If in a few months he's still not gaining weight despite feeding him more, you may want to look in to digestive enzymes, and have the vet do a thorough look over as well.
    But if he doesn't have any noticeable digestive issues, appetite is good, energy is good, poops are good, I'd simply give him more. He obviously is using it.

Torin., Teddy-dog and Sarah H like this.
  9. Jenna Paulsen

Yea begets plenty
    Exactly, hes well loved and looked after now! No when I got him he was A LOT skinnier than what he is now, sounds harsh but he looked half dead bless him! But 4th and LAST home, hes going no where ... Clearly

O2.0 and Lurcherlad like this.
  10. Jenna Paulsen

No idea what that first msg was about pmsl ‍♀️

11. Jenna Paulsen

But yea... clearly going no where

Attached Files:

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. Saluki

Saluki PetForums Junior

Ours looks the same he’s approx 18months and slightly longer hair do not as obvious, our vet was very happy and said it’s typical of breed. Max has approx cup and half of dry grain free which he picks at or 1 1/2 trays of forthglade, various treats, bits of raw or left overs etc and he never gets any heavier than 18kg. He’s always wormed and has plenty of muscle on his thighs but if I give any more he’ll get soft poo or just leave it. I second the calorific food, max has a variety of foods but all grain free and he’s quite happy

Attached Files:

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice