Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Calling any saluki owners?!!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jenna Paulsen, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Jenna Paulsen

Jenna Paulsen PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone, hope your all well and staying safe! Just need some advice ... I have a 13 month old (I think) Saluki, I kinda just took him off someone's hands before he went to the kennels or an awful owner got him, I just didnt think twice! I've had dogs before but never a Saluki, not normally a dog I'd go for but I fell in love with him instantly!! Anyways, he was EXTREMELY skinny when I got him, I plumped him up a bit after giving him wormer etc, then he started losing it again about a month and a half ago and with the lockdown I haven't been able to get him to vets as they are doin emergencies only obviously and I'm just at a loss! Hes just getting skinnier and skinnier and hes got a good diet! I'm just confused! I'm his 4th AND LAST home so I just want to make sure hes comfortable and ok before I ring the vets and bother them for me just being "over the top" .. I'm not gonna lie I have been a bit dramatic when friends have come but I'm just so worried about him, I've had him 4 glorious months and I want many more so any advice would be great before I ring and about and ball for an appointment hahaha! Hes eating ok and doing his business fine so I'm just at a loss .. PLEASE HELP

2. Jenna Paulsen

That was suppose to say shout and ball*

3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Can you post a photo of him, whole body, standing, from the side and from the top?
    How is his energy and demeanor? Does he act sick and lethargic?
    How about his appetite and output?

If you're not used to sighthounds they can seem painfully thin when they're at a good weight. But I'd like to see what you mean by him being too skinny.

kimthecat, lullabydream and Torin. like this.
  4. Jenna Paulsen

Hes still loopy as out so his energy is fine hahaha hes also eating well too! I'll post a picture hang on

kimthecat and lullabydream like this.
  5. Jenna Paulsen

Attached Files:

6. Jenna Paulsen

Attached Files:

7. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Yeah, he needs a little weight on him, but it's not atrocious. He has muscle covering, so he's not pulling calories away from muscle which is good. He might also be going through a "puppy uglies" stage too.
    He will likely always have a few ribs visible and his spine, and definitely his hip points will always be prominent.
    I'd work on building up some more muscle on him too.

What are you feeding him? How are his poops?

8. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

That's very similiar to how Maisie was at about a year, I couldn't seem to get weight on her. There is sighthound skinny and too thin.
    Her poo was always fine. She did have a problem with chicken.. She always wasn't to fussed over her meals, she ate but occasionally would leave a bit. I don't know if that was due to being free fed at previous owners. Vets said she was OK.. Still young as @O2.0 plus what I was feeding as I knew the amount I fed she was fine.

So I used common sense and tried seeing if adding an extra meal helped.. I knew this, had done it before so put her back to 3 meals thinking she's not going to eat the third but she did.
    She's 4 years old now and roos for her 3rd meal.. Probably a bit more chunky she should be. 3rd meal now more of a slither of food.

It took time to get weight on.. Definitely add a meal though so gentle on digestion. If there really is no underlying condition

Edit to add My Maisie is a lurcher, technically a long dog Saluki Cross greyhound

Lurcherlad, kimthecat and O2.0 like this.
  9. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

He looks a little on the thin side, but we get a pair of young saluki boys in at work from a very experienced saluki owner and they are skinny looking (and I like my dogs lean), but totally normal for young male salukis. They should be lean but muscled. Your boy looks like he's got some nice muscle just needs a tad more weight on him. They do tend to go through a particularly gangly skinny phase, but will bulk out a little as he matures. He's beautiful. Salukis are pretty interesting characters!

Jenna Paulsen and kimthecat like this.
  10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

He looks too thin to me. The ribs should be easily felt under your hand but only the last 2-3 actually visible to the eye imo.

Jack is a Grey x Saluki and was a similar weight when I got him from rescue with all ribs, spine and pin bones visible. I got him up to a nice weight with some cover on his bones and he’s continued to maintain.

He was around 3 when I got him and was picked up as a stray so just not had enough food for however long.

Your boy might just be going through an adolescent stage at the moment.

What are you feeding him? What’s his output like? Is he due a wormer? They can have a tendency to sensitive tums.

Jenna Paulsen likes this.
  11. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I do think they go through a ‘thin’ stage. Not a saluki but our whippet looked skinny around a year old, you could see his ribs and spine and he loved his food! As he matured he put weight on.

O2.0 and Lurcherlad like this.
  12. Jenna Paulsen

Yea I've already done the 3 meal thing! It's just worrying, he is part of the family now like I'd die if anythin happened to him! Hes helped me since my PTSD diagnosis so I really couldn't lose him!

13. Jenna Paulsen

I do hope this is the case with my Storm

Teddy-dog likes this.
  14. Jenna Paulsen

15. Jenna Paulsen

I know right, its awful as he does genuinely get given a good diet and it just doesnt do anything weight wise .. makes me sad for him! I dont know his previous 3 owners so not sure how they treat him or anything! Yes I heard something about the last 3 ribs should be visible but as ya can see theres way more than that! He gets fed raw or dry food(grain28) ... and all the other bits he pinches off my 5 year old hahahaha!

16. Jenna Paulsen

Oh yes definitely interesting hahahaha he has me crying with laughter most days hahaha! I hope it is just a stage coz my anxiety is just gettin worse! I want him safe and looked after so I just needed advice as I've always had German shepherds or akitas n husky so I've never had a "Naomi Campbell" before hahaha!!

17. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

If you feed him more will he eat it?

18. Jenna Paulsen

To be fair hes one of those dogs that are just greedy as but I think he may have been eating out of bins previous because even if he has a bowl of food there he will still go sniffing in the bin! Heartbreaking really! But yea he eats everything and anything haha

19. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Heartbreaking? Nah. I've known many a dog who has never had a moment of want in their lives who will happily raid the trash and counter surf all day long. Sighthounds are no exception. Dogs are scavengers, nothing wrong with that! Obviously I wouldn't let the dog eat out of the trash, but that he's interested in the trash is nothing unusual.

If he'll eat more, feed him more. Give him some good nutrient dense stuff too like tripe, organ meat (not too much though) to his tolerance and just up his feeds.

Sarah H and Torin. like this.
  20. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

So true. My lurcher didn't have the greatest of times when he was growing up but was never starved, yet he would literally eat himself sick. We hid the bin in the cupboard and he knows he's not allowed on the work tops yet we sometimes catch him licking the table or the hob! But lurcher does mean thief.

O2.0 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice