Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Calling All Shih Tzu Puppy Owners

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Buggles, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

We have a 16 week old Shih Tzu. When people ask how old he is they always say "Wow, is that all?".

I was just wondering how old yours is and what he/she weighs?

He was weighed last Sunday at Just For Pets (similar to Pets At Home) and he weighed 5.7kg which is about 12.5lbs. Both of his parents were quite small. We had a shih tzu who was very much on the larger side in the past.

2. KarenHSmith

KarenHSmith PetForums VIP

I think that's normal but not sure - some websites, give out the age and weights of different dog breeds:)

3. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Had a look at the maximum weight should be 8kg which is about 16lbs. He's already 12lbs at 4 months lol. He doesn't eat a huge amount so its not that he is fat.

4. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Our shihtzu Nessa is 11 weeks today, she was weighed last Monday and she was 2kg. Dinky little thing bless her.

5. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I took this picture from Southern Shih Tzu Rescue | rehoming & rescuing Shih Tzu in the UK | Shih Tzu Dog Breed Rescue

[​IMG]

It shows what a huge difference their can be in size.

Forgot to add, my friends last Shih Tzu was pedigree with papers but was over the breed standard I think he weighed about 22lb - the vet said he was just a very big boy, perfectly healthy

#5 Fleur, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  6. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

He might be just a big Shih Tzu. My eldest Bichon is very big for a Bichon - he has longer legs and body and a bigger head than my sister's Bichon who is the same age.:) Was his mum and dad quite big?

7. angel01

angel01 PetForums Junior

Millie is 7 months and weighs abot a stone.

8. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

i have 3 shih tzus, and they all weigh different, Chloe is just over 12 lb, shes 19 months, Maisie is 13 months and weighs about 12 or 13 lb, and Sooty is 14 months and is tiny and weighs under 9 lb,:)

9. Pam/Holly

Pam/Holly PetForums Senior

According to what I have read an adult can be between 9lbs and 16lbs. It says that for small dogs if you double their weight at 4 months or around 16 weeks it will give you their expected adult weight. This was about right for my Yorkshire Terrier who is just over 2kgs and she was just over 1kg at 4 months.

10. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

If thats the case, he'll be 24lbs... I hope not!!!!

His parents were small!

11. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

Thats all mine weighed at 11 weeks too Lol

He's 18 weeks now and weighs 5kg..... more of a furball than a meatball :D :D

They're like us....all different!

12. Pam/Holly

That is a lot, how much and what do you feed him? How much excercise does he get? He may be doing all his growing at the beginning and will stop earlier than usual. :)

13. Pam/Holly

What do you feed him wet or dry food?

14. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

the average weight of a dog is just a guideline and personally I take no notice of it, I much rather just look at my dog and go from that. If they have fat folds and the waist is hardly there then I cut back a bit or up the exercise. If I can feel any bones or the waist is looking a bit too tucked in then I increase food.

Please, for the sake and welfare of your dog, go by him as and not by the books... they don't always get it right ;)

15. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Hes not fat at all! He's on dry food, 3 meals a day but he doesn't eat much (his choice) for breakfast and lunch so really in total he eats 2 meals (half for breakfast, half for lunch, full for tea)

He is NOT fat!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice