Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Calling all mechanics

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CharleyRogan, Jun 10, 2010.

1. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Is it normal for a garage to angle grind stuff off your brake shoes if they can't figure out why your brake is binding?

I just spoken to someone who has knowledge of mechanics said under no circumstances should that be done as the problem isn't fixed although the car would be safe but could later on cause problems, e.g. if it was the axle that was the problem like they think it was, it would cause uneven tyre tread and therefore alter handling being potentially dangerous.

I'm having doubts because when has a garage ever said to you oh this is the problem.... but we'll just do a small job to bypass it? Hmmm

2. hawksport

hawksport Banned

They might chamfer the ends of the linings slightly but anything else would be a big no

3. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

The way i see it is like this.If your breaks are binding there is a problem,and if a mechanic is worth anything he should know how to sort the problem out without cutting corners.I personaly wouldn't trust this person with a car of mine,especialy when it comes to brakes.

4. dogandbone

dogandbone PetForums Member

You have good reason to be worried, a decent garage would simply replace the shoes or even the drums as well if needbe, and not carry out a bodge repair like that, especially when it comes to such an important part of the car. Sounds like a place to avoid!

5. CharleyRogan

Drums and shoes had been replaced, this is why he couldn't figure it out!

6. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

he needs a new job.. street sweeper would be my suggestion.

7. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Is it both sides on the rear or just one side?

8. CharleyRogan

I have had the drum and shoes on the rear nearside wheel replaced, and was still binding. Was just the nearside that was binding, but replaced offside as well. Took shoes off multiple times, still had problem. It was only binding 2/3's of the way round but drum was showing signs of heating up when only driven down the bottom of the road.

They phoned and told me it was shoes, and told them it wasn't, they then said they would have another look, so then they phoned again 3 days later telling me that it was done. Don't think they were going to explain what the prob was, but I asked on purpose because it was doing our heads in as we couldn't figure it out! They said they had by passed it and would now pass the MOT. When I got down to the garage, I asked them to show me what the problem was.

They tried to tell me that it was my rear stud axle, and said that my car had been hit on the wheel rim as there was signs of damage to the wheel rim..... but the thing is.... I have just had 4 new tyres which means that the wheels could have gone back in any order.... meaning that that back wheel that's there now, could have been on the front meaning it couldn't tell us what the problem is!

Basically they didn't know what the problem is, and wanted my money, so they did some crappy job, my wheel although is not binding anymore, the actual problem still hasn't be sorted! Spoke to a friend who is a mechanic today and he said he wouldn't even dream of doing something like that to someone else's car, and they charged me £70 for the privilege!

My mechanic friend doesn't seem to think that it is the rear stub axle as its cast and not liable to bend with the minor damage that has come to the car over the years.

I am looking to enrol on a mechanics course tomorrow so as to never be ripped off by those b******s ever again as had problems with another garage and they tried to rob my brake shoes!!!!

#8 CharleyRogan, Jun 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  9. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Without seeing it I would suspect a seizes brake cylinder.

10. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

lol...you always make me chuckle. :D :lol:

11. CharleyRogan

Brake cylinder fine! Bearings checked, backplate checked, handbrake checked, right shoes checked!

No one can figure it out because by all account it should be working!

12. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

First and foremost you do not replace left/right hand side brakes at separate intervals! This is asking for trouble.:eek:
    Brake shoes have a 'leading edge' they are there for a purpose and should not be removed. You think the manufacturer put them there for fun?:frown:
    Secondly if the servo/ brake master and slave cylinders are fully functional then this would clearly suggest (especially as you say the brake sticks 2/3 of the way round) that something is definitely out of alignment.

#12 Zaros, Jun 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  13. jon bda

jon bda Guest

As i said last time, i'd suspect over adjusted brake shoes or a seized/over ajusted handbrake cable. If they're 'confident' its not one of those (hmmm :rolleyes: ) then it might be worth taking a look at the flexible hose feeding the rear brake on the side thats binding, these can get blocked or collapse inside holding the brake on...
    :)
    P.S. I'd be seeking a second opinion...they do sound like a bunch of muppets!.

14. CharleyRogan

Bf said that car only has rigid brake pipes going direct into the backplate and connecting to the cylinder, so can't be hoses!!

Taken to a garage and got bf's mate who is qualified mechanic to look at it and they looked at all that and they said all the stuff is fine.

I'm due to get new brake pipes in the next 2 weeks, they are corroded as hell, could that cause it?

15. Zaros

Nope! Corroded brake lines are more prone to bursting from hydraulic pressure.

Now here's a question for you. Have you kerbed the car prior to this problem?

16. CharleyRogan

It looks like someone has kerbed it, but it wasn't me! I only had car for 3 months!

17. hawksport

hawksport Banned

crushed brake pipe?

18. Zaros

When you remove a wheel are the fastenings which hold the wheel to the hub/drum Bolts or studs and nuts?

19. CharleyRogan

Bolts I have been told

20. CanIgoHome

CanIgoHome PetForums VIP

Never in my life have I or heard of everyone taking an angle grind to any of the brake system Its a big fat No

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice