Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Calling all British Shorthair Slaves - how do you groom?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Bilai, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Bilai

Bilai PetForums Senior

So Milo is 4 now and tbh we have never been very good at grooming him regularly. Mainly because I hate getting covered in fluff. It's resulted in the odd hairball once or twice a year - around about now actually.

So this year I pre-emptively gave him a furminator session but it's probably not enough and I'm just wondering, what do other British Shorthair owners do?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

My 2 previous BSH cats were the worst I've ever had for shedding - all year round! I couldn't use a furminator on them because it would have stripped out the under-coat that keeps them warm in winter.

In Spring and Summer I groomed them every day with a comb and slicker brush. In the winter I groomed them every day with a comb. I found if I used a brush in the winter it loosened too much fur making them shed even more.

Bilai likes this.
  3. Quartermass

Quartermass PetForums Senior

Is there a limit to using the furminator? I usually brush Johnny once a week but this morning he'd thrown up a hair ball the size of a poo. I thought he'd crapped on the floor. It surely can't be because I missed one week. So will it just continue to strip undercoat away or does it only remove loose stuff?

Bilai likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

A furminator will keep stripping away the under-cat until the coat is thin and straggly. It takes ages to grow back too. :(

As it is now moulting season it might be a good idea to groom Johnny every day, especially if he has a thick coat (as most BSH cats do). I'd use a slicker brush and/or a comb for daily grooming.

Bilai and Quartermass like this.
  5. Quartermass

Well he's a dsh, a moggy but I think the fur is similar to bsh. I'm off out for dinner but he's getting brushed when I get back then!

chillminx and Bilai like this.
  6. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I think they are just the worst breed for shedding and I say that as a devotee of thirty odd years!

I don't think you will find much better than a Furminator. I know some people don't like them and I often see it said that they contain a blade (they don't) and they can and do take out an awful lot of coat. I have two, large and small, and use them on my cats when they go into a full moult. I would much rather strip out all of the undercoat than have cats with furballs and everywhere, me included, covered in hair for months. I think, as a result, that my cats are far more comfortable.

I have tried grooming mitts, the rubber type zoom-groom and neither work as well for me. The only thing that comes close is a metal toothed moulting comb (close, alternate long and short teeth). That too is highly effective for removing loose coat but if you have a BSH with a very dense coat, it can tug on the skin somewhat - it is that my cats object to unlike the Furminator which doesn't.

Quartermass and Bilai like this.
  7. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I use one of those combs for mine and it does get a lot of fur attached to it. The trouble is, they don't much like being groomed and end up trying to bite it and/or me.

So each grooming session is pretty short. I should do more really...

8. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

I use a slicker brush (its what I have for the dog. They'd be hard pushed to shed more than him with his double coat) and was recommended by the breeder.
    Mine like to be groomed but I've yet to get much of anything as they're only young and haven't started moulting properly so can't tell you how effective it is.

Bilai likes this.
  9. Bilai

Bilai PetForums Senior

Gosh so basically everyone here does do a lot of grooming. I feel a bit rubbish for having neglected him now. He just always seemed fine! He does LOVE it though so I think I will do Furminator once a week as it's moulting season and see where we go. The fluff literally flies around everywhere though lol

10. gskinner123

I have a few who object however gentle I am. I should do more too with those cats but I'm not very good at approaching it on a little and often basis...

MilleD and Bilai like this.
  11. gskinner123

That's the one problem with a Furminator...barely any teeth to gather the fur. I try to use it somewhere - occasionally on my garden table - where cleaning up is easiest! It does go absolutely everywhere.

Bilai likes this.
  12. Bilai

Bilai PetForums Senior

I have always wondered about the Furminator because it makes that weird sound!

I don't worry too much about it because I haven't groomed much in the past. I was going to do once-a-week but maybe will do once a month with the furminator and once a week with something else. Thanks!

13. Quartermass

I've tried the rubber mit and Johnny doesn't like it at all. I sometimes use a military brush because I have that in the room I use as an office and I have the furminator (well a knock off) in the living room. The brush doesn't take as much out but I think he likes it more.

Bilai likes this.
  14. My cat doesn't need brushing but I brush her every evening as she enjoys it, as long as the session is short. I use a slicker brush that is meant for rabbits. Also, from March to October I furminate her most nights. I don't go mad with it, but I do go a bit heavier when moulting season is well under way. I put the fur outside for birds to nest with, which is a bit sick really..!

Quartermass likes this.
  15. Quartermass

You could save it up for years and make pillows with it if you want to dial it up a notch!

I'm going to start saving Johnny hair for the birds. Good idea.

Bilai likes this.
  16. They are nesting now, so you can just chuck it out of the window! A suet feeder would be better.

#16 Deleted member 1482176, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2019
    Quartermass likes this.
  17. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I've learnt something useful! I didn't know that kind of brush is called a "military brush". Thanks QM. :)

Bilai and Quartermass like this.
  18. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

Mine is a Moggy but she has short thick fur and she's very fluffy underneath. She sheds a lot. I use a grooming glove or a zoom groom.

Bilai likes this.
  19. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I also have a brush with lots of thin metal teeth and you brush them then take the fur off the brush by running your hand backward over it. It's very effective but I'm not sure what it's called...

Bilai likes this.
  20. LJC675

LJC675 PetForums VIP

Ooh that's a good idea. I've got a spare suet feeder, I'm going to brush K&S now and do this, will be interesting to see if they go for it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice