Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Calling all breeders!

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by goodvic2, Jul 26, 2009.

1. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

What are your thoughts on not breeding around the Christmas period? :idea:

2. sandymaynard

sandymaynard PetForums Senior

As weird as this sounds, I think that if a parent wants to get a christmas puppy,
    Then maybe for their family they should get a book on the dog they intend to get, collar,lead and bowls and put them under the tree, Then two weeks after christmas get a puppy!
    Christmas is a stressful time in most family's and alot of family arguements etc! Where as after christmas things are more calm!
    Alot better to bring a new puppy into the family!
    Those are just my views!
    I think it is personal choice really!
    Sandy

dipdog and thedogsmother like this.
  3. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I think you mean selling puppies,because if you bred at christmas the pups wouldn't be ready till April ;)
    It depends on individual circumstances,some breeder's do sell at Christmas time,other's don't.
    For instance I homed one of our pups to a semi retired gent and retired lady,I wouldn't have a problem homing a puppy at Christmas time to a couple like that,where it's quiet and they don't have much going on.

Good breeders look at the family on an individual basis and make their decision accordingly.

4. raindog

raindog PetForums Senior

It's not really something you do deliberately. It depends upon when a bitch comes into season. We have only ever had one litter which turned 8 weeks during Christmas week. We just kept hold of them an extra week or so until all the festivities were over.

Mick

5. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

As Raindog said sometimes it can't be helped. Saying that if I had a litter ready to go at christma I would keep hold of these pups untill after new year and I would not let anyone have them who said they were to be a christmas present. The homes would be vetted even more than usuall.

The only time I had let a pup go as a christmas present was to a couple who already had a pup of me. I had had 2 litters together and the couple had been after a whippet pup a friend of theres had a dog of me previously and reccomended that they cntact us. They came and met the 2 remaining pups Bindi and Mikey. They chose Bindi who became Flash and kept on contact with us. I ran Mikey on but he didn't make the dog I expected and the womans boyfriend asked at the beggining of december what had happened to Mikey I told him he was after a home and he asked if he could have him as a christmas present for his girlfriend. I agreed as I knew Flash was spoilt rotten and Mikey would be the same. We have kept in touch and they now have 3 from us as they also had Jude from us earlier this year. We have an open invitation to call round any time we are passing.

This is the only time I have let a pup go as a christmas present and as I said the girlfriend knew about Mikey and they were friends of ours already having a pup of us.

6. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Very good idea, rep for that.

7. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

I feel very much the same as freyja in that you sometimes just have to go with when your bitch comes in season but the home vetting would have to be very thorough,and no xmas presents.I usually keep pups til xmas period is over and also firework night if it's that time of year.

8. raindog

raindog PetForums Senior

Because we breed very infrequently, we always tend to have a long waiting list, so we know the prospective owners pretty well long before the pups are born.

Mick

9. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

Yes i think that's what i would do

10. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

We have had puppies around Christmas time, infact, one litter was ready to go just before Christmas so we had a lot people wanting on as a christmas present that they could pick up Christmas Eve night...!!!!!

I dont agree with giving dogs as presents like that, and for any litters we have around Christmas we hold on to the pups until after New Year when all the stress and chaos of the xmas/new year celebrations. But like said previously, you cant choose when a bitch comes into season so sometimes it is unavoidable to have them around christmas, but it just means you have to be more careful with your home vetting!

11. Molly's Mum

Molly's Mum PetForums VIP

I personally would miss that season, as I know I wouldn't be able to give the pups the care & attention they need and get all the preperations for the family at Christmas; missing one season would be my option.

12. clueless

clueless Banned

I would never plan a litter around the festive period

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice