Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Call for register of animal abusers.....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by jamat, Apr 18, 2017.

1. jamat

jamat PetForums VIP

Lurcherlad likes this.
  2. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

There is definitely some work going on behind the scenes in the met to do with this,because there is a huge link with those who abuse animals and those who commit domestic violence offences.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. MaggiesMom

MaggiesMom PetForums Senior

I think it's a MUST.
    It should be an open register to view online, kinda like 'companies house' so anyone can go on. That way pet shops, breeders, anyone privately rehoming, rescues etc, could look and vet someone beforehand. I know you still can't tell what kind of owner someone will turn out to be but it's a start..

Happy Paws2 and Calvine like this.
  4. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Another start would be checking on people who have received an animal deprivation order. At present, being banned in court from keeping animals means nothing...it's a total joke. RSPCA don't bother to check even if you have a lifetime ban!

5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I do not think a register that can be viewed online is a good idea at all. Can you imagine the problems it would cause people. Look at what happens when someone is discovered to be on the sex offenders register, there is no discrimination between an 18 year old having consensual sex with a 15 year old or a serial small child abuser. and that register is not open to the public. You would end up with someone who was a hoarder being at risk of being reviled (beaten up) just as much as someone who had hung a dog up and burnt it (or whatever)

6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Absolutely this...the law doesn't seem to care...or people don't seem to worry about being sentenced for animal cruelty and being banned from.keeping animals...especially where I live.

MaggiesMom likes this.
  7. elmthesofties

elmthesofties PetForums Senior

Sort of related, but in Norway there is a register where your earnings are on a public database that anyone can access. However, whenever you look at how much someone makes, you have to log in and your visit to their page is displayed so people can see if you're snooping.
    Maybe making the searches completely public wouldn't be the best idea, but logging it somehow could avoid some of the issues mentioned here.

8. winterrose

winterrose PetForums Senior

I believe that there should be some form of identification for animal abusers, however I don't think that it should be in the form of something that anyone can view online. Plus, who's to say that a person won't give a fake name when buying an animal?
    As much as animal abusers deserve to be punished for their actions, there could be a possible revile for those on the list, of which we may see those on the list getting beaten up or similar.
    I believe that having a form of identifying an animal abuser on all forms of identification is a must, and I also believe that forms of ID should be shown to all breeders/rescues before sale which will say whether a person is an animal abuser or not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice