Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Calgary - How dog laws should be!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Johnderondon, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

No BSL! No breed bans! No hysteria!

Just common sense.

Calgary Dog Attacks Fall to Lowest Levels in 25 Years

2. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

That is how to do it the right way. Doubt we will ever catch on.

3. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

That's how to do it shame our politicians are too ignorant to see that

4. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

The state this country is in and has been for some time, there just isn't the money to do all these things ...

Unfortunately.

5. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Sounds brilliant, back to basics, make everybody repsonisble whatever the breed of dog. But the money to set up / enforce sadly cant see it happening. :(

6. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

So simple - but so effective. There is absolutely no reason why this shouldn't be applied in this country - not even cost. As the article explains, it's self-funding, with the licensing covering the costs of the scheme. In fact, it could actually save the public purse some money - less medical treatment for bites, less policing and less litigation and court costs.

7. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Common sense! If only!.... X

8. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

maybe market it to the government as a money maker? how much money could they make in fines of the idiot with small dogs that bite cos they haven't bothered to train them cos 'they're only little'?

sorry - have been bitten (though not badly) about 5 times in the last year by lil yappers that were thoroughly *ruined* by bad owners, I don't care it's smaller than your handbag it's still a *dog*... train it

9. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

That's not strictly true because the laws we do have simply drink money and to no good effect. This, from The Independent today...

'Devil dogs' cost police millions - Crime, UK - The Independent

Two and a half million pounds! And that's just one police force! And that doesn't count the further millions wasted on court time, expert witnesses, legal aid, etc. The fact is we are pouring money straight down the drain. A lot of money.

The Dangerous Dogs Act hasn't reduced the numbers of banned types. It hasn't reduced the numbers of dog bites. It's had twenty years to prove itself and all it has shown is that it doesn't work. It's not hard to see why it doesn't work either. In 2009 the Met. police seized 498 dogs under the DDA. Only 28 of those dogs (that's 5%!) were seized for acting dangerously out of control. The other 95% were seized just for looking too much like a proscribed type. There's the waste. Imagine applying that to our criminal system and filling our prisons with 95% of people who looked wrong rather than those who did wrong - hardly efficient use of resources.

We have the money. We could do what Calgary have done and save money but we lack common sense and our politicans have backed themselves into a BSL corner.

10. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

There are some places in Canada that have BSL in place but fortunately Alberta is not one of them, although they did go on a rant about wolf hybrids a few years ago back in the 90's I had a hybrid and had to fight for her she was 10 yrs old at the time and had never hurt anyone or been at large since I owned her at 2 yrs old. They quickly stopped after 2 months but were successful in PTS some lovely pets mine was not one of them thankfully

11. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

Personally the thought of people needing a liscence i find worrying, only because I have 3 dogs, so how much would i have to pay to keep my dogs, and if i couldnt afford it, what would happen??

12. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

Not sure about Calgary but I lived 2 hr away in the City of Lethbridge when I lived there the dogs got city licenses (discount price if spayed/neutered and micro chipped) and if you have over 2 dogs in the city limits you apply for a fanciers license and they actually do check to see if you have the space, a proper fence, and that the dogs are not left outside while you are away at work. I had 6 dogs in the city and it cost me about 100.00 a year for everything. Now I live in a Hamlet of 350 people and probably 500 dogs

13. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

I wouldn't mind paying if everybody did and it was actually regulated, but people like us would cough up, even if we struggled to do so why the majority would not and nobody would chase them up :rolleyes:

Waste of time.

14. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

And the idiots with Bull Breeds? Cuts both ways ...

15. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

When I lived in Calgary in the 70s and 80s they actually picked different areas to go around each year door to door to check on licensing

16. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

Please can we not make this a big dog little dog thread....There are good and bad in both end off.......

17. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

I think the Government here can learn a LOT from the way Canada are handling things. If they would quit whining about costs and just do the right thing and send people out to police it, there would be no more demon dog stories, no more tragedies about young children and everywhere would be a lot safer.

18. casandra

casandra PetForums VIP

Let's not forget that Canada also has the awesome law whereby any dog sold as "purebred" or "pedigree" must be registered with the Canadian Kennel Club. :) Small step in the way of creating more high quality breeders vs byb's or puppy farms.

19. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

Does anyone know how to send a copy of the original newspaper article to Mr Cameron, Mr Clegg and the other rule makers of this fair land.
    If it's possible for them to get loads of copies on their computers, they might actually read and learn.

20. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

They never did anything like this in the UK when we had dog licenses. This isn't Canada ...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice