Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Calculate dry and wet food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Joanna Charalambous, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Joanna Charalambous

Joanna Charalambous PetForums Newbie

Hey guys !!
    I've been recently switching up my cat'a food to ensure he is receiving the correct nutrition and high quality food but im struggling to know how much of the type of food to give him. Does anyone know how to help?

Wet food : Thrive kitten (chicken). They reocmmend 2-3 tins a day depending on activity level and there's not much other info for what to do if I feed dry food too.

Dry food : Iams Vitality Kitten Chicken. They recommend to feed 30g for his weight if I feed with Iams wet food pouches but they don't have the same nutrional content as the Thrive tins.

FYI : my cat is 7 months, male, neutered, fairly active (has started going outdoors) and is a bengal mix.

Any help would be much appreciated as I am so lost !!

2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Feeding a kitten is really easy- as much good quality wet food as it will eat. Kittens have a lot of growing to do and are usually very active so can put away huge amounts of food. It’s better if you feed different brands and flavours to prevent pickiness. Here you can find recommended wet foods obtainable online with Zooplus:

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads...-just-the-good-stuff-work-in-progress.440844/

The dry food is not needed at all. On the contrary it’s not even good for cats. It has a dehydrating effect and cats often don’t drink at all, they get their fluids from the food. Their ancestors lived in deserts and so were not used to having water about.

My cats still get to eat as much as they want, at three years old. They are very active and would starve on the rations that are recommended on the cans. Annie is too skinny for my taste though she easily puts away 400g per day of high quality wet food and snacks on mice besides.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice