UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well firstly I am pleased to say that I have managed to get the Alexander cages up. And my oh my they are massive!!! They have a slightly bigger footprint of the zz2 which is what they were in...but bars and shelves. Also it is with a heavy heart that I split my 26 girls into 2 groups...so each group is in an Alexander cage.bhope they feel lucky! But I did hate splitting them. So here are a couple of pics.

I didn't have a ruler to hand so here is an attempt to show you that the bar spacing is good...I have to push to get my finger in!!

However I have come across this!!

I am absolutely gutted. I feel so awful for my poor baby...she has only just weaned one litter. I would say I cannot understand it but I can...and I have learnt a terrible lesson in which my baby is going to pay the consequence for.

I want to warn people...I separated the boys out of the girls cage at 4 weeks 4 days old. I was leaving it till 4 weeks and I have to confess I just forgot...I have just started a PGCE course and just don't seem to have time. But it's no excuse really. I know it has been said you can separate at 4.5 weeks......I have learned the reason why those few extra days can just simply be too many. Am so sorry my gorgeous girl. I will make sure you are extra pampered now!!

I think she is the only one...though there is one other showing enlargened nipples...though she has recently breastfed and these have not changed really since.

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Yay for the cages but :( for you and your girlie, from what Ive read they are hyper fertile when they wean a litter :(

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Glad the cages are good and oops for the mousie.Don't beat yourself up-as you said people have said you can separate at 4 and a half weeks...just bad luck.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. Yeah cages are great...fantastic quality considering the price!! Am chuffed with them.

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
Wow fantastic cages they will be mice heaven. how do you choose which girls go where? Were they all sleeping together? poor mummy mouse is she going back into a zz2 any idea how far along she is? maybe this was meant to be so Nicholas can have some little cage mates

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow fantastic cages they will be mice heaven. how do you choose which girls go where? Were they all sleeping together? poor mummy mouse is she going back into a zz2 any idea how far along she is? maybe this was meant to be so Nicholas can have some little cage mates
Aww that's a nice way of looking at it. Though will he accept others...baby boys?

Not sure on how far gone though would guess she will pop in 1-3'days. I can't put her in the zz2 cos OH fell into it and shattered it...oops! Should she be in a tank cos of the babies?

I'm still not sure about that bar spacing but probably would be okay and I'm worrying about nothing.
Honestly I still have a few youngsters..not fully grown...and touch wood...it seems fine now! I hope so...but I watched them out there for about an hour and there was no attempts at escaping.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Not sure on how far gone though would guess she will pop in 1-3'days. I can't put her in the zz2 cos OH fell into it and shattered it...oops! Should she be in a tank cos of the babies?
Oh dear..... I have a mini Duna sitting around if you need it :)
The Alexander's look great though!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
:( It's a hard lesson hun but unlike a lot of people you know what you are doing and mum mouse is going to do fine (I will keep my fingers crossed for a small litter though :) ) Those cages look fab, and I'm sure that once mum has raised the babies she will love diving around them :)

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh dear..... I have a mini Duna sitting around if you need it :)
The Alexander's look great though!
Oh thanks hun! Got a few spares if need be...the upside of being a cage hoarder lol. But thanks for the offer.

:( It's a hard lesson hun but unlike a lot of people you know what you are doing and mum mouse is going to do fine (I will keep my fingers crossed for a small litter though :) ) Those cages look fab, and I'm sure that once mum has raised the babies she will love diving around them :)
Aww thanks for the kind words. Can I keep her in the Alexander...maybe remove the ramp till babies are bigger?

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
I wouldnt keep her in the Alexander hun, a tank style cage would be safest, you will remember how pingy the babies are so they could easily escape at a fairly young age.

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
I agree I'm sure they would squeeze through the bars or climb and then fall.

I hate the zz2 plastic - one of mine has a crack in the corner now. Most of all I hate how loud they are when your opening and closing the lids.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wouldnt keep her in the Alexander hun, a tank style cage would be safest, you will remember how pingy the babies are so they could easily escape at a fairly young age.
I agree I'm sure they would squeeze through the bars or climb and then fall.

I hate the zz2 plastic - one of mine has a crack in the corner now. Most of all I hate how loud they are when your opening and closing the lids.
Oh dear...OK. I will put her in a tank style cage then. But do I take her out on her own or put one of the others in with her?

Wow, that cage looks fab!

Good luck with mum (who is gorgeous by the way!) and the babies :)
Aww thanks!! She is stunning....but they all are!

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
I would choose one or two of her closest friends and pop them in with her, if there are any who look like they might also be pregnant they would be the obvious choice. The ones who dont have a litter should help her out with the care of the litter.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I would choose one or two of her closest friends and pop them in with her, if there are any who look like they might also be pregnant they would be the obvious choice. The ones who dont have a litter should help her out with the care of the litter.
I'd recommend the same Niki :) Bar spacing of anything more than 7mm is too easy for babies to get out of so you would be best moving mummy mouse just now so she has some time to prepare a nice nest with the help of her friends :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I haven't read your whole thread yet (working from home but meant to be working ;) ) but, I got the Kevin 82 extra-narrow which has 7 mm spacing and it's really good - will post pics soon. But prob you don't want to spend another £70 just as a filler til the babies are bigger!

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd recommend the same Niki :) Bar spacing of anything more than 7mm is too easy for babies to get out of so you would be best moving mummy mouse just now so she has some time to prepare a nice nest with the help of her friends :)
OK thanks guys!! Put her and two other adults (as in first generation) into a perfecto tank! I hate those but I don't have another option at the mo. Hopefully will only be for 3/4 weeks. Dreading the re-intros though.

I haven't read your whole thread yet (working from home but meant to be working ;) ) but, I got the Kevin 82 extra-narrow which has 7 mm spacing and it's really good - will post pics soon. But prob you don't want to spend another £70 just as a filler til the babies are bigger!
I dunno...I might end up needing it anyways for the second lot of boys! Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.