Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cage training & Play fighting with two dogs.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lilian89, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Lilian89

Lilian89 PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I have a question about cage training and play fighting.

We have had a jack russell cross for over a year now (from a puppy) who we introduced the cage to pretty young and she's great in it. She never cries or even tries to get out, she will go in there when asked and couldn't be any more perfect.

A few months ago, we added a second dog to our ranks, a male whippet who was also a puppy. The two dogs generally get along very well and spend a lot of the time sleeping in the same bed with each other (even when they have a choice of other beds to use!).

However, our new dog is very anxious when put in the cage, even with our other dog. He will bark and whine continually and we haven't found a way of getting him to stop.

The other issue is to do with play fighting. They play fight together a lot and chase each other around the house. Neither dog seems to be bullying the other one and both seem to start the fight an equal number of times. When they fight, they usually bite each other around the neck and on the odd occasion, one will go too far and the other one will let out a cry. They are obviously playing rather than properly fighting, but it seems that they only do two things - sleep or play fight, with not much else in between. The other problem with this is the amount of noise they make when doing this, as I'm sure our neighbours can hear them which isn't very fair on them.

Is this something that we should try and calm down? When we ask them to stop, they do obey briefly but tend to go back to play fighting unless we keep asking them to stop.

Some advice would be very much appreciated.

2. Jodfblue

Jodfblue PetForums Junior

I have the same issue at the moment. I have an 18 monthish (not really sure as he's a rescue dog) flat-coat retriever cross and I am currently fostering a 7 month old collie-cross for a local rescue centre.

They playfight constantly - at first I was quite worried about it, as the little one growls and barks a lot, but, as in your case, it seems that they take turns in starting it and if I separated them, they just whine to get back to each other. They also chase each other around madly, both in the garden and house. It seems if they're not fighting, they're either eating or sleeping and there's little in between!

I'd love to know what to do to calm them down a bit though, as, especially with all the wet weather we've been having, the house is getting trashed with mud all over the carpets, furniture and even walls!

I'd also like people's views on when does it become too much. They bite each other around the neck and ears and the little one will sometimes just run up to my dog and bite his back leg - seemingly to get attention.

3. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Did you crate train your whippet from a puppy? Was he fed in there and put in his crate when he was sleepy?

Are you doing any basic training separately with them?

I have a rescue sheepdog bitch who is now just over a year old (she was approximately 11-12 weeks old when I took her on) and my next youngest is a 4 yr old collie bitch. They love to playfight, and I love to watch them, but they are not allowed to do it constantly and are told "that's enough, lie down now".

4. Lilian89

Lilian89 PetForums Newbie

Thanks very much for your replies.

Our whippet was only about 8 weeks old when we got him from a rescue. More or less straight away, we would put them both in our large crate together. We didn't try feeding him in there but he would often sleep in there during the day with our other dog. One theory I have is that he might have bad experiences being locked up at the rescue when he was very young.

Usually when we tell them once or twice to calm down, they do so (for a short moment), but we're unsure whether doing that is going to spoil their relationship. We don't want to stop them enjoying themselves but at the same time, they are just too enthusiastic and make too much noise.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice