Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cage suitable for 2 or 3 rats?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by LostGirl, Apr 16, 2011.

1. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

No it isnt is the short answer, Ive got one of those cages (somewhere) as a spare and its really small also the plastic is pretty thin so therefore chewable to a determined ratty. A Savic Freddy would be ideal and there are loads on ebay all the time or if you can stretch a bit the Abode cage is great. Where abouts are you located?

3. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Thanks i wasnt sure :)

Im watching a freddy i think on ebay its at a 1p at the moment there wasnt any near me :( ive emailed a few sellers if they would post if i arranged a courier aswell

Im in plymouth ive got about 2-3 months before i want to buy the rats so im not in a rush just trying to get my head around the measurments and all the bits i want to add to it :D

4. thedogsmother

I'll keep my eyes open for suitable ones near plymouth for you. that might stop me buying any more totally unnecessary ones for me:eek:.

5. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Think I've found another few and I've emailed a breeder who lives in Plymouth! X

6. thedogsmother

:eek: You dont hang about do you :lol:, what colours are you after?

7. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

No lol its nearly payday thats why :D if i can get the cage etc now then Oh cant moan when i fill it :p

Rat Cage on eBay (end time 17-Apr-11 15:54:07 BST)

is this one any good? Thanks for your help btw :D

I think im after dumbos any colour really i like all of them the breeder has blue ones which look gorgeous! im quite taken by them

8. thedogsmother

That would be a lovley cage, if you see one and you want to check if its big enough you can google rat cage calculator and it will tell you how many can fit in that cage. Three of my rats are blue dumbos :001_smile:.

9. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Fab thank you I never thought of google :eek:

I'm going to have a nosey at the photos here until I get them lmao get a rattle fix! X

10. ceretrea

ceretrea PetForums Senior

If you go to the fancy rats forum they have a market place section on there and many people advertise their second hand cages. You might find a bargain.

11. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Thank you I'll take a look there aswell I was looking at one forum that had amazing cages I think my mouth was open the whole time I was on there lol!

12. Cherpi

Cherpi PetForums Senior

I wouldn't put one degu in that, and I think rats are bigger aren't they? No way would that be suitable.

13. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

its fine, its not something im getting looking at jennys, freddys and tom's i think they are :)

its amazing how aderts though make them out to be big, and spacious enough for rats i do wonder how many people have got these tyes thinking they are big enough tho :( as if like me i am totally rubbish at sizes and measurments e.t.c

14. ceretrea

ceretrea PetForums Senior

A cage 80x50x80 is perfectly suitable for 3 rats. You might not put a single degu in there but it doesn't make it unsuitable for rats.

http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/information/guides/cagecalculator/ says 5 rats in there.

A Freddy 2 is smaller at 80x50x60cm

But for anything more then 3 rats permanently you would need to be looking at something a bit bigger like an Abode.

Bear in mind that if you freerange the rats alot the cage size is less important. Also for temp caging you could put 4 rats in that cage you linked. Also bear in mind that the more rats you have the more mess, so the closer you come to a cages capacity the more cleaning you will need to do to keep them healthy and smell free.

Some people seem to think you need an aviary for just a pair of rats, thats a lifestyle choice not an essential thing. Check the rat cage calculater. My Furet Tower is 80 x 75 x 161 cm and the calculater says 18 in that. My lot are a bit lost in there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice