Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cage Help Please!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by GigiB, Nov 29, 2019.

1. GigiB

GigiB PetForums Newbie

My mom and dad are buying our two children a hamster each after losing our dog :( they’ve always wanted one, so we thought the time was right. ( after Christmas, not for Christmas.. I’m not a advocate of animals for Christmas)

they were going to buy each hamster a Omlet Qute hamster cage, but I can’t find any reviews on this. Apparently they have two solid floors etc
    But I wondered what you lovely people thought or if you could recommend a good cage?
    I wondered about the paw hut with run but it’s all wood and didn’t know if the pee would sink in and smell!

we need two as they will be Syrians and they thought the Qute as it can’t be knocked off or knocked over.

any advice or recommendations would be appreciated x

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

Not a fan of the Omlet one, it's a lot of money for something really not very big.

You also can't have two Syrians together, they would kill each other. Some smaller Dwarf Hamsters can be in pairs, but still may disagree with one another as they mature and aren't as easy for children to handle. If you need two of something to live together you might be better looking at gerbils!

EDIT:
    AH, just re-read and you're looking at two separate houses for each animal so a Syrian could work.

Many cages sold for Syrians in pet shops are too small, they really are quite big. I prefer the look of the Paw Hut and have seen a DIY one of these which was bigger and looked fab!

3. Smolmaus

Smolmaus PetForums Member

Nope nope nope. They look good but they are very very much too small for any hamster. A lot of people get caught with the marketing and the design so good job checking first! They're not cheap to replace when you eventually have a stressed and anxious hammy and come looking for answers!

The minimum cage size differs depending on who you ask. The generally accepted minimum in the UK is 620Sq inches or an 80x50cm cage. These are pretty widely available, the best budget option is the Alaska but you also have the Hamster Heaven which is (I think) a slightly better quality cage bit comes with a lot of accessories that aren't 100% suitable for syrians and will need to be replaced anyway.

I would say (controversially perhaps) that 80x50 isn't really enough space for a syrian. I found it really hard to keep them happy and fit larger syrian sized accessories in there. Doable! But not ideal imo. You then have the 100cm cages, the Barney, the Alexander which I would personally recommend (despite having neither). There are other options out there but these are probably the most popular cages which fit most budgets. Wooden cages can work but most people like to waterproof them so the pee doesn't soak in which is a hell of a job for something that size. And the levels aren't ideal in the pawhut cage, hamsters have terrible eyesight and basically zero depth perception so there's a fall risk there. I wouldn't choose it myself.

Sorry if this is a wild amount of information to be throwing at you! I hope the links are helpful at least. I'd recommend checking out hamstercentral.com for resources, they're a great site with lots of really valuable hamster-specific advice.
    I'm over there as shannonmcn as well :)

4. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

The bigger the better to be honest. What about the zoozone (large) never had one but lots of people use them. Also the savic plaza for rats I think may be ok for a Syrian but no 100% sure.

I agree with smolmaus. Go on hamster central it has a wealth of information and cage ideas specific to hamsters (I'm on there as Engel too) :)

5. GigiB

GigiB PetForums Newbie

thank you so much!!

I’m glad I asked now :)
    I’ll go and have a look at all the links :)

sorry for late reply, it keeps saying error when I try to reply

Engel98 likes this.
  6. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Also found this video that may help

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice