Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cage Advice

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Ruby R, May 26, 2017.

1. Ruby R

Ruby R PetForums Newbie

IMG_20170524_221741.jpg How big do cages have to be to hold 4 or 5 dwarf hamsters, and how big for 9 in each ? Thank you. These photos are the cages I have. How many can they hold? Thank you

Attached Files:

#1 Ruby R, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
  2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

What species of dwarf hamster are you considering?

That cage doesn't look suitable to me, I'd worry about the bar spacing for starters, & I don't think groups as large as 9 individuals would be easy to manage as you'd need a huge cage footprint & multiple of every resource (food, water, enrichment, sleep areas etc) just to prevent territorial fighting.

Some info here, all dwarf species are sociable to a degree, but in my fairly limited experience you have to be prepared for individuals to fall out.

Realistically, are you going to be able to provide multiple suitable habitats in the event of every animal falling out?

https://hamsters-uk.org/content/view/32/

Ruby R likes this.
  3. Ruby R

Ruby R PetForums Newbie

I was thinking about roborovski hamsters

4. Ruby R

Ruby R PetForums Newbie

I also uploaded a pic of my other Care. Could they both hold 4-5 roborovskis?

5. elmthesofties

elmthesofties PetForums Senior

Multi tier cages are usually not recommended as it increases the likelihood of individuals trying to 'own' a layer, resulting in fighting.

Both cages look unsuitable to me. The second one in particular leaves for a high chance of bumblefoot or trapped feet because of all those bars they'd be walking on, and the slope on the ladder is so steep that they'd be likely to fall. The size of the first one isn't too bad, but the bar spacing is very big for a robo.
    Is this the result of a litter?

Ruby R likes this.
  6. Ruby R

Ruby R PetForums Newbie

No its not a litter, but I'm going to try and get siblings. I might be getting a hamster tank cage. Do you know how big it would have to be to hold 4 or 5 Dwarf hamsters? Thank you

7. elmthesofties

elmthesofties PetForums Senior

If you have the choice, I'd advise against getting a large group. Dwarf hamsters are quite prone to falling out and once they decide they don't like eachother, they have to be separated. That means 4-5 cages, handling all of them seperately, and so on. A pair or trio might be a better idea as there's less at stake if things go wrong.

It'd depend on the hamsters, but a 20 gallon might be okay for a pair. Bigger is better, though!
    If you're up for a little bit of DIY, it is possible to make a cage from a Detolf unit from Ikea that'd be a great size for a relatively small price, or you can make a bin cage.

8. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

Its a bit risky keeping that many robos together, it will increase the risk of fighting. I agree with @elmthesofties & go for a pair or a trio if you must. You will need two (or 3) of everything to minimise the risk & you need to be prepared to separate if they do fall out. I also agree with Elm on the Detolf from Ikea. If you google some of the German hamster forums they have fantastic ideas for converting them in to amazing hammy homes.

9. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

I don't suggest that you get that many hamsters, either. Keeping 5 hamsters in a single cage could easily result in territorial issues or unwanted breeding. I don't recommend that you buy more than two-make sure they are both of the same gender unless you want them to breed.

10. AkiraMalamute

AkiraMalamute PetForums Junior

Way too small unfortunately. The minimum cage size to hold 2 dwarf hamsters or 1 Syrian is 80 x 60cm. (20 gallon tank if your from the US) I agree with everyone else do not keep more than 3 hamsters in one cage due to territorial issues. Also having split levels can increase one hamster trying to 'own' that level causing fights.

Dwarf hamsters are particularly prone to fights so like other people have said you might need 2 or 3 of everything to minimise your chances of hamsters fighting.
    Bars can cause bumble foot in rodents so I would advise you get rid of those levels in your Syrian's cage and replace them with something solid.

A good place to get large cages for a decent price is Zooplus. Also bin cages, IKEA hacks and so on can make great hamster cages for a smaller price.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice