Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cage advice please

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Eggsmum, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Eggsmum

Eggsmum PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone!

We are looking to buy a Syrian hamster sometime soon and I've been looking into suitable cages. What a mine field! Reviews cover things like the wheels being too small for Syrians, tubes being too narrow, poor ventilation, etc. can anyone suggest a good cage? If the wheel supplied becomes to small once the hamster grows then the cage will need to be tall enough to accommodate a larger wheel. The other important points have got to be that they are easy to clean out and that we can get relatively easy access to our furry friend. Please help :0).

2. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

My Syrian has the Hamster heaven cage with the tubes and penthouse and I replaced the wheel that came with it with a Wodent wheel but she seemed okay with the wheel that came with it too. The cage is tall enough to take the Senior Wodent wheel.:) They are quite easy to clean out but I find the tubes a bit fiddly and my o.h usually puts them together for me cos I have no patience.:blush:

You can get a Mickey max XL cage which is basically the same cage with narrower bars but no tubes or penthouse and is somewhat cheaper than the Hamster Heaven.

This is the Mickey Max XL but you would need to cover the wire platform or take it out altogether as its not good for their feet.

http://www.justcages.co.uk/small-animal-cages/savic-mickey-2-xl-mouse-dwarf-hamster-cage

#2 Jazzy, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  3. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

You could also look at rat cages like a freddy 2 or a jenny (although the doors are pants on the old jenny's)

they make great hammy homes :D

4. xkimxo

xkimxo PetForums Senior

#4 xkimxo, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  5. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Fixed the link for you hun ;)

Wonderland Exercise Wheel: Great Small Pet Accessories at zooplus You will need a 20cm minimum :)

Edited to add: It appears the link no longer needs fixing :lol: First time I clicked on it, it took me to a random page :rolleyes:

#5 B3rnie, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012
  6. xkimxo

xkimxo PetForums Senior

I also just edited it at the same time haha :)

7. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

The recommended size for a hamster is if I remember rightly 40x80cm or bigger - very few "hamster" cages are anywhere near this size, especially in the average pet shop, although there are some great ones available online.

In terms of both size of cage and size of tunnels, I don't think you can go far wrong with a suitable rat cage. I have the Ferplast Mary which is the recommended size and comes with a hanging tunnel which is more than wide enough - and the bars spacing is narrow enough for a syrian. I wish I'd bought the Jenny at the time though as it has the extra height and levels.

Ventilation shouldn't be an issue in an enclosed type cage IF you use a safe bedding material (not sawdust!) and it is plenty big enough and cleaned out frequently enough. So the big zoozone with a meshed lid would be fine - but a painfully small rotastak would not. (Because you will get more ammonia build up). Personally I prefer bar cages because its easier to utilise all the vertical space - I just attach platforms, boxes etc to the walls and ceiling with cable ties.

8. Louiseandfriends

Louiseandfriends PetForums Senior

9. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

10. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice