Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cable and TV issue

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Ivaylo Georgiev, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Ivaylo Georgiev

Ivaylo Georgiev PetForums Newbie

Hi guys,
    we just get our beloved Archieblad ( 2 months old British shorthair )
    We have a dog ( 7 years old Jack Russel, but this is another story )
    Me and my wife never had a small kitten and we are not sure how to train the cat the following two things.

1. We have a big and rather expensive TV and the cat can be around it because its not too high. We have a big concerns that she will scratch it even though for the several days that she has been here there were no issues and the kitten is not showing any interest for the TV.
    Anyway, is there any advice or anything that we should do right away while she is still young?

2. The cables, we have 2 work stations some game consoles and a lots of cables for different electronics behind the TV stand where the kitten can go. For now she bites the cables maybe 2 times per hour and when we loudly say "NO" the effect is immediate. I have concerns that the kitten can get hurt or worse I cant hide them all so should I try some cat rappelers right away or I should wait several months and supervise the cat behavior before doing so.

[​IMG]
    Thanks in advance and sorry for the "not perfect" English - not a native speaker here.

2. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

Hi you can buy tv guards, like a screen that goes on your tv, that should stop any scratches. As for the cables you can buy cable tidies that you wrap all the wires together and it wraps around them, I got hard plastic ones and it’s kept him away from the wires

buffie likes this.
  3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I would always go with prevention rather than cure , by that I mean not waiting until they grow up ;) .
    Use cable tidies where possible and put away all cables not in use.
    As for the TV I have never come across any scratching of the screen but then I don't have an expensive TV so cant really help with that.
    Some cats ignore cables others see them as toys for their amusement ,I was lucky Meeko is not a cable chewer but he is a sticky tape muncher so I have a whole different range of problems and at 11years old I don't think he is going to change any time soon.
    Welcome to the fun world of kitten parenting :eek:

Meant to say surely that gorgeous little fluff ball couldn't possibly cause any trouble

4. Ivaylo Georgiev

Thank you both,
    for the TV protector - in the country where I live in (Bulgaria) is very hard to find 65" TV protector.
    At what age they are considered grown ups? I mean maybe I should just wait because right now everything is a toy for a kitten boy but that is normal.
    I've lived with 2 cats ( different timelines ) and none of them have any interest toward TVs or cables but I think they are all different.
    For example my Jack Russel terrier never chewed a single show or furniture in our apartment :) which for that breed is... a miracle?

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

65" TV .......:eek: That's huge :) I assume it isn't possible to put it on the wall rather than have it within reach of your kitten.
    As for when are they considered grown up's ..........who knows .As I have said my lad is 11 years old and I'm still waiting , although with my luck he will probably just go from kitten to second childhood :rolleyes:

Calvine likes this.
  6. Ivaylo Georgiev

Last two days I have an issue with the cables because the cat is using this place for escape route when chased by the dog.
    I really want to fix the situation because the cat can hurt itself in there and I cannot fix/move the cables right now and this is in our living room so I don't want to keep the cat always in another room just because of these cables and electronics.
    Any suggestions, should I try cat repellent spray or smth?

7. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Teaching the dog to not chase the cat is a better solution

SusieRainbow and buffie like this.
  8. Ivaylo Georgiev

Yup, maybe I'll work in that direction because it can lead to far worse injuries and if the dog keeps charging we will never have peace:)
    Thanks.

9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Neither will your poor cat .Dogs and cats can live together in peace but it might take time and a lot of careful handling.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  10. AstroKitties

AstroKitties PetForums Junior

As a precaution we bought this neoprene cable sleeve stuff to cover exposed dangling cables around our lounge. Prob doesn't stop the attacking/biting but at least minimises damage to cables (and possibly cat). As it happens our kitten doesn't seem bothered about cables.

Not sure if this is something you can get hold of or would help your problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B085NG53YB?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

11. OrientalSlave

There will be advice in the dog forums if you want it.

Calvine likes this.
  12. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

You need to be very careful . . . if your TV is anything like mine, it will be very light and a dog getting behind it when chasing a cat would easily knock it over. Even a cat behind mine would do it.

I agree with this, though of course you may not have an empty wall in the right place for the TV.

13. OrientalSlave

Even if they sort these things out, do they really want the dog chasing the cat? Even in play?

14. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Give your kitten appropriate scratching furniture and she will use them.

Do not allow your dog to chase your kitten. Ever. Your dog could seriously injure or kill her. And the behavior will only get worse. In addition, when your kitten gets older, she could seriously injure your dog when she starts to fight back.

Not to mention it's a miserable way for a cat to live.

Teach your dog a leave it command and until the dog is solid on it, keep the dog on a house line or separated from the kitten by a gate.

Your kitten does not know what "no" means. Prevent her from chewing wires by covering the wires, boxing them in or spraying them with bitter apple. Give her appropriate toys and distract her with interactive play.

I do wonder how it happened that your breeder let the kitten go so young. 8 weeks is very young, should have been kept with mother and litter mates until 12 weeks.

#14 lorilu, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    SusieRainbow likes this.
  15. OrientalSlave

It protects the cables not the whole TV.

16. Natrc

Natrc PetForums Newbie

So for the TV you can buy TV guards - they are normall perspex/plastic covers and can be found online. They are designed to cover the screen to prevent scratches. My dad has one with his two dogs (same as you expensive TV and worried about scratches) and only complain is it can worsen glare from the sun (but he just closes the blinds to watch TV).

As for cables, a good cable management system is all that is needed. If you have extension leads get an extension lead box from B&Q and then buy cable tidy covers, they are normally fabric covers with velcrow and they wrap around your cables. Not only will you cables look really neat and tidy, it will mean fewer chewing areas. If the issues persist and they still chew then turn the items off at the mains when you are out and they are unsupervised.

And your cat is beautiful ❤️

lorilu likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice