Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bye bye prednisolone, hello apoquel

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by The Wild Bunch, May 29, 2020.

1. The Wild Bunch

The Wild Bunch Owner of dogs and referee of children

Olive was put on prednisolone to help with obsessive itching. It has helped but after seeing one of our regular vets, she wasn't happy to keep her on steroids long term due to the damage they can do to her insides (vets words, not mine) we are now on a ten day course of apoquel to see how she responds and then will be given a six month script if she responds well :)

Another question while I'm here please... her skin is truly awful at the moment, flaky and dry. We have been using coconut oil to help this but because she's black, it looks like she has dandruff. Are there any very mild shampoos or other treatments I could use to help her? Her legs are currently very discoloured due to her previously licking them through itchiness but I'm hoping her coat will recover over time.

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

What has been tried to get to the cause of the itching? Have you tried raw/grain free/different single protein foods? Tried antihistamines?

3. The Wild Bunch

She's had a skin scrape and a blood test. We are awaiting results. The vet has said they don't think it's her food, she's raw fed and her ears are perfect. Apparently food allergies make ears particularly bad in shih tzus. She has been prescribed antihistamines and is having these alongside, she continued itching when on antihistamines alone. No mites or fleas are present.
    We don't use candles, wax melts, plug in air fresheners or biological washing powder. We are very careful with floor cleaning and use specific dog friendly products.

I've got two other dogs but thankfully, they are fine :)

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Aloe vera can help with itchiness but getting it under the coat of a shih tzu to the skin would be tricky at best. Is the condition the same all year round?

5. The Wild Bunch

Never happened before. She started like this in March pretty much as soon as the better weather started. She's just turned 3 so it has been a stressful couple of months seeing her so uncomfortable but hoping we might have cracked it now

6. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

This past couple of months has been really bad in terms of allergies in my experience, not just with my girl who gets flare ups but have heard it from friends too. I find quick dip in the paddling pool after a walk to get rid of any pollen or mites helps, plus it cools the skin and is good in this weather after a run.
    Apoquel tends to work really quickly, you usually give a loading dose for a couple of weeks then drop it to a maintenance dose as long as it's working. I wanted to get my girl off it but with the weather like it is that won't be happening any time soon! I also have a special shampoo to give if she chews it too much which prevents infections. I do this weekly (just on the sore patches) at the moment to keep it under control.

The Wild Bunch likes this.
  7. The Wild Bunch

Thanks for the response. Vet has said that once she's stable, she should be able to have doses 'as and when'
    I've been spraying her leucillin which seems to be easing a bit and also bought some peace and kindness shampoo and spray with colloidal silver to help with her coat fingers crossed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice