Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

BYB mass surrender help needed

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by munchkinpie, Sep 28, 2013.

1. munchkinpie

munchkinpie PetForums VIP

I'm here pleading for help!
    Bengal rescue Scotland, has just had a mass surrender from a BYB. 11 kittens 2 have now passed, two adults, two pregnant queens and more still to be handed over. Kittens have been split into groups critical, critical/stable and stable. This is 4 of them at the vet!(below)They were living in horrendous conditions covered in urine and faeces and are full of worms. If anyone would like to help out it would be much appreciated. I have seen these kittens myself and it reduced me to tears.
    They have set up a wish list at amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/3ECIMN73E3IKR

Or donate ANYTHING through paypal

Bengalrescuescotland@yahoo.co.uk

[​IMG]

2. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Poor babes xx

Is there a collection point anywhere I could drop stuff off?

I have a ton of stuff that I'm due to take to my local D&C rescue early next week but would be happy to split some of the cat stuff to help out

I'm in East Lothian

Cheers

3. munchkinpie

I have sent an email to the co-ordinator to see if there is anyone willing to collect. Thank you :D

4. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

Oh poor little things, how can anyone let cats and kittens get in this state
    They look so skinny,and confused even in the pic

5. pollypage

pollypage PetForums Member

:( the poor little darlings how could they be allowed to get into such a state, they are so skinny and their fur is so matted.

6. tincan

tincan PetForums VIP

Jesus christ , poor babies ..... what a bloody mess :mad: I cant open the bengal scotland link .... but i am more than willing to send a donation ... food , vet vouchers , £ , whatever .... can you PM me details of who to contact plz :)..... Why is this allowed to continue , heartbreaking , a quick buck to be made , at the expense of an animals life .... Sorry for the rant , it's just so upsetting to see this :( anyhoo very happy to help x

7. munchkinpie

8. munchkinpie

TC it is horrific what these babies have endured. Someone alerted them to a poorly looking kitten on gumtree which then led to 11kittens two pregnant girls and more still to surrender. Two haven't made it, two (including my poppet, I have a soft spot for this girlie) are still very critical.

9. gentoo1980

gentoo1980 PetForums Member

That is auwful. All this pain and suffering that's allowed to go on because the goverment wont bann these kind of breeders.

Is it best to donate money to them through paypal or to buy something from amazons wish list. Never used a wish list before.

Do they get charged for the paypal fee?

10. munchkinpie

Which ever you prefer. A fee is taken through paypal but that goes towards vets bills, the wish list is for supply's and food etc.

11. tincan

tincan PetForums VIP

I understand where your coming from , i really do ... But i have no idea how they can ban them .... even if the GCCF , excercised a ban assuming these cats are registered with a governing body .... There is always room for BYB'S .. to spread their wings , and they do far and wide , to the expense of the breeding Queen / Kitts .... The health of these animals is not paramount to them it is purely driven for financial gain , all they care for is cash not testing , welfare , conditions that these animals need to be healthy .... and when their days are done , well who knows what happens ... Vile people ... disgusts me :mad:

12. munchkinpie

There are things that can be done which would make it harder for them and put them off such as proving knowledgable of the breed you choose, this could be enforced by an honourable cat club member whith relevant breed experience.
    Ban all active litters( there is no way in my opinion that every cat from one litter can be a great example and suitable for breeding).
    Ask for a statement from their vet to say whether they believe they can cope with the harsh reality and demands of breeding and their ability to hand rear and feed.
    I may seem over the top and some of this possibly can't be done but if you wanted to do it for the right reasons it wouldnt stop you.

13. gentoo1980

I don't know how hard it would be to stop as I've only just found out about BYB last month.

I think you should only be aloud to breed cats if you're a registered breeder. I know people who are after making money will still breed cats but most people are honest and wouldn't break the law.

That would put a stop to R.S.P.C.A, cat protection and other charitys taking on kittens from them familys who decided to breed their cat not realsing how hard they are to rehome and then there time and money could be spent else where.

I just realised after I posted my last reply that I'm a BYB. I didn't bother spaying one of my cats this year. She got out when in heat and even though I got her in as soon as I realsied she didn't come back into heat and I didn't have the heart to get her spayed when I knew she must be pregnat.

I've been toying with the idea of getting them neutered before I rehome them and this thread has swayed my mind. I think three kittens is already too many to add to the already overgrown cat poulation. I'm quite embarassed at the fact that I let her breed but don't regret it. I love these little ones. Never gonna do it again though.

Just need to find a vet who will neauter them. All my local vets only do at 5 months.

14. munchkinpie

The difference between you and a BYB is you have learnt from your mistake and won't do it again. You genuinely love and care for these animals welfare you are not a BYB.

15. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Regarding PayPal and fees, as far as I am aware you can use the personal payment/gift option and there should not be a fee charged.

16. munchkinpie

I'm not clued up with paypal but I know the full amount certain people sent was different to what showed up. It must an option thing

17. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

Bengals are definitely not on my list but the little chap I transported for Animallifeline last week was a gorgeous. Just "liked" BRScotland and asked for their postal address.

Poor little kitties :(

18. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Thanks .... I'm afraid funds are rather tight just now :eek: as I've had to drop hours at work as I've been ill, but I do have a load of food that I would happily split between them & my local rescue xx

19. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

There is no point in making a law which is utterly unenforceable. The best tool is early neutering. This might help you find an EN vet:

Find an Early Neutering Vet

You could also ring your local Cats Protection and ask if they can recommend a vet. Be prepared to travel. I got lucky and found a super vet 15 minutes drive away for my Oriental kittens.

20. gentoo1980

Docking dogs tails have become much rarer since they made it illegal. I know a lot of people still do it but it's not as common. I don't think many people who still do it get prosecuted either.

Making it illegal for none registered breeders would stop a lot of the type of people who have the mind set of allowing their cats to have just one litter before they spay.

The cat that had these kittens was living in a wheely bin with her mum and three litter mates. The two local cat charitys couldn't take them on and as were full and one of the reasons they were full was because they'd taken in cats directly from such people.

Thanks ever so much. I was going to go through the yellow pages this week but I've found a vets in Todmordon thanks to your link. They're much cheaper than my local vets too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice