Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Buying puppy - scam, but wanting us to visit home?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by nicxox, May 10, 2021.

1. nicxox

nicxox PetForums Newbie

My boyfriend and I have recently been looking to buy a golden retriever puppy and we found one on pets4homes from someone local. We got in contact and she send pics of puppy and I immediately felt I had seen the puppy pics before from we known dog pages I follow on Instagram. I decided to check my Instagram followers and I was right, exact same puppy from a breeder in Canada. I also asked for videos of puppies and the excuse was made that they had only just opened their eyes so they would send them in a few weeks when they are up moving... Sure.
    Before I searched the Instagram pics we decided to test this person and see if the the “dogs” and “pups” were KC registered etc. She gave us the name of the dog and we were able to find it which I found weird. They also gave us a litter registration which was in progress.
    I was wondering how they would get this information, would it just be stolen from someone else?
    The thing that worried me most is they were prepared for us to go to their home to view the ‘puppies’. Why would this be? If puppies didn’t exist why would they want us to go visit?

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Puppy farms might site pups temporarily in a home environment to further dupe prospective buyers into thinking they aren’t from a pappy farm.

Champdogs is often recommended on here rather than pets4homes, etc.

Many good breeders are still holding off from breeding atm so anyone offering pups now should be investigated thoroughly.

Rescues are starting to fill up with the lockdown pups bought on a whim, so maybe worth considering?

3. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Registrations can definitely be forged and messed around with if people are so inclined.

Does the registered owner details match the name who you've been talking to?
    What's the KC name, out of interest? :Bag

Does the date from the instagram photo make this 'litter' impossible?
    ....what happens if you send them a screenshot of it?

nicxox and JoanneF like this.
  4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I’m pretty certain this is a scam as there is a similar sounding advert which was picked up by somebody on a golden retriever Facebook group I belong to.
    Pets4home had a poor reputation as the ideal place to buy a puppy from, it’s slightly better then some of the others, but that’s not saying much. Your best bet would be to look on the Champdogs and KC websites and contact the breed club in your area for advice and puppies due. There is also a Facebook page called Golden Retrievers - sourcing reputable breeders UK which is a closed group. This group will be able to advise you on the best breeders who health and temperament test their dogs prior to breeding.
    Golden Retrievers have a number of inheritable conditions which can be tested for such as X-rays for hip and elbow displasia, eye conditions and there are a number of dna tests advised. Breeders who test their breeding dogs for these conditions are the ones to look for. As these tests are expensive in some cases puppy farms and the like don’t bother. Beware of those claiming that a the puppies will be health checked as a proof of a healthy pup, this is a just a quick once over by a vet to see that they are in good health that day and should not be confused with the specific health tests performed on the parents of the puppies. These test are essential to my mind or your puppy could have a life of pain or go blind and huge vet bills. Health testing the parent dogs prior to breeding lessens greatly the chances of this happening.
    The link is to the inheritable health conditions in GR’s
    https://www.dogbreedhealth.com/golden-retriever/

Lurcherlad and nicxox like this.
  5. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

If you are unsure about a breeder then there is usually a good reason for that...honestly I would walk away and continue your search on a more reliable site.
    Most responsible breeders won't be breeding much (if at all) at the moment due to the ongoing pandemic so it may take longer to search for a well bred and health tested litter.
    I wouldn't recommend P4H at all...not much better than the free adds IMO

Lurcherlad and nicxox like this.
  6. nicxox

nicxox PetForums Newbie

Yes it makes it impossible as these puppies advertised were from Scotland and the Instagram was Canada. They said the dog was called “Lilling Shannon” but upon searching showed that they were born in 1997

BlueJay likes this.
  7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Can you be bothered with contacting trading standards. I think I would make it a mission! At least it might stop someone else being duped.

8. nicxox

nicxox PetForums Newbie

Yeh we thought that website could be dodgy. It’s just due to being desperate for a dog but it was stupid on our behalf as well. We’ve decided to contact breeders through champ dogs to assure the dogs
    We’ve contacted the website but I would happily contact trading standards if it means shutting down a puppy farm! It was easily believable which makes me feel a lot more people are going to be scammed.

Blitz likes this.
  9. karenmc

karenmc PetForums VIP

It does sound very suspicious. I would look at Champdogs and also you can contact approved Golden Retriever breeders on the Kennel Club website. Our breeder was on there though we were passed on to each other through another contact. You have chosen a fantastic breed!
    As @Siskin says there is a website for finding Golden Retriever puppies. We are also members of a friendly GR group on Facebook Golden Retrievers GB.

nicxox likes this.
  10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

And the tax man!

nicxox likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice