Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Buying new pup

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by nicky k, Apr 23, 2017.

1. nicky k

nicky k PetForums Newbie

Hi there I'm new on here ,we have recently chosen a new puppy a friend for my existing dog Lucy ,we we went to see the puppies and the breeder who we know ,has said mum rejected this one puppy and started biting it's tail so it's shorter than its siblings tails ,there is no infection we can see and hair is growing back ,the pup is also considerably smaller than his siblings ,does anyone think we are going to have any major health problems with him do you know ,I hope not as he wouldn't leave me alone he kept coming to me and I've fallen in love with him already thankyou and sorry it's a long post

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

What has the breeders vet said about the puppy's tail?

What health tests did the breeder have for the dam prior to breeding? What health tests were carried out on the sire prior to breeding? These tests will help to do the upmost to have the healthiest offspring, although not always 100% guarantee. It is far better than a quick health check at the vets.

3. nicky k

nicky k PetForums Newbie

All the puppies were checked when born but 2 died so 7 left ,breeder is taking pup to vets tomorrow so hopefully fingers crossed all will be well ,as for father he was a beautiful stud all health checked too

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Health checked is not health tested...so how healthy your puppy could be, is like asking how long a piece of string is.

A healthy puppy now, could change dramatically in a few months time, or be healthy for a long time.

simplysardonic likes this.
  5. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

What breed is this?

If this pup had gone then A N Other one of the litter would not have left you alone

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I wouldn't worry about this pup any more than the rest of the litter tbh, especially if the tail has healed.

It sounds like the runt of the litter but that doesn't mean he will have any issues in future. Do get insurance as soon as you get him home though.

Years ago one of mum's kittens had a stump for a tail (apparently damaged at birth) which was the reason she chose him instead of him being overlooked and he lived a happy and healthy long life - but all her animals were waifs, strays and cast-offs! ;). Money rarely changed hands - FTGH for most, 50p for one and a fiver for a pup from an "oops! litter of a friend of a friend :(

However, in those days we weren't so knowledgeable about neutering and good breeding practises, health tests etc.

What breed is the pup and are you getting him a bit cheaper, out of interest?

Is the "breeder" a proven, quality, ethical breeder or just someone you know that has bred their pet?

simplysardonic likes this.
  7. nicky k

nicky k PetForums Newbie

It was my husband's bosses sister ,they need her once but never again they said as they have lost 2 pups ,my husband has said to choose another pup so we have but I'm gutted ,my husband doesn't want us to end up spending lots of money in him if he does end up having complications as my Siamese was runt of the litter and we have had lots of problems with him and he's 4 now

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. nicky k

nicky k PetForums Newbie

Put need not bred her

9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

If the dam has rejected the pup, there may well be a good reason for it.
    I'd pick another, or get a pup from elsewhere.

nicky k likes this.
  10. nicky k

nicky k PetForums Newbie

Thankyou she did tell us on the day we went to see them to pick another just in case ,so we did he's considerably bigger with huge paws for a Springer spaniel :) but he's healthy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice