Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Buying houses

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by LouJ69, Jun 28, 2009.

1. LouJ69

LouJ69 PetForums VIP

Ok, this is kinda gonna be a bit of a long one coz I'm on a high!! Went to view a house yesterday that I'm thinking of buying as a first house. Basically, it's a brand new 3 bedroom house that's just outside of Dublin, well about 40 mins outside of Dublin. It's close enough to Dublin to make travelling to work easy enough, but far enough outside of Dublin for it to be like living in the country. The best part about the house is that it's basically a blank canvas. The house is built, but when I sign the contract, the conpany sit down with me & I get to pick out what colour schemes go on the walls, type of fireplace, lights, kitchen, tiles, wooden floors/carpets, what type of baths/showers go into the house & I also have a little say in what way the downstairs is designed i.e. do I want the kitchen & dining room to be separate from the front living room or do I want an archway/doors linking the rooms together etc. Then, the company give me a €10,000 voucher for Harvey Normans so that I can get all my furniture - beds, sofas, etc. Then, to top it all off, the company will pay off the first years mortgage for me too!!! Sounds perfect doesn't it? It's just perfect for a first home for me, my OH & Monty (plus my Alaskan Klee Kai pup that I'm hopefully getting soon!). I should have a better idea tomorrow of how much it will cost me a month for the mortgage, so hopefully I'll get approved & it's affordable enough! I've been designing it in my head already!!! Here's a pic of what the house will look like. If anybody is interested enough to actually wanna see more pics, check out Barrack Homes - Built for Better Living - Abbeyfield Development Tell me your house buying experiences, especially your first houses......Sorry it's soooo long, but I did warn you at the start!!!

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Well done looks beautiful x

I've given up on buying a house for now.

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Wow that sounds like a cool idea.
    I tink that's basically what my ohs parents did, their house was blank before they bought it and they got to choose the kitchen units, all the flooring and everything :)

x

4. LouJ69

LouJ69 PetForums VIP

Thanks, I'm so excited, but I don't wanna get my hopes up either! As they're saying at the moment, it's a buyers market. Because of the recession a lot of houses that were built aren't selling so a lot of the companies are giving really good deals like this. Otherwise I could never afford it!!!

5. LouJ69

LouJ69 PetForums VIP

Yeah, I love the idea that I basically get to design the whole house myself! Have soooo many ideas already!

6. Nicci

Nicci Guest

My very first house was a new build, was very tiny though.

Just a two bed mid townhouse, purchased for £37,000 sold it for £70,000.

I now live in a listed building :)

7. LouJ69

LouJ69 PetForums VIP

That was a nice profit that you made! I love listed buildings, but couldn't afford one at the moment. This house would be small if it were to be a family house, but because it's just for me & my OH & dog, it's perfect!

8. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Exactly and it's your own, my very first house was tiny every room was really small but it was new and like you say a blank canvass.

When I got married and decided to start a family it was then we looked at selling up and moving, when we took on this house it was a project, there were no floors in any of the rooms the place was a wreak.

It's taken an awful long time to get this house the way we want it, but again it was pretty much a blank canvass. I'm happy with the house were in now, I doubt I'd move, but then again I doubt we'd beable to sell if we wanted as no-one would beable to get a mortgage on it.

9. LouJ69

LouJ69 PetForums VIP

Yeah, a lot of people aren't being approved for mortgages at the moment & that's my only worry. I don't want children so this house is an ideal size really. If it was to be a family home, it would be a bit too cramped. Once you're happy with the place you're in now, there's no real need for you to move I suppose. It's great that you could do up the house yourself.

10. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

All I will say is be careful! bought my first house for 3k then eventually moved to one for 250k.... now stuck in a semi worth nothing!

11. LouJ69

LouJ69 PetForums VIP

Yeah, that's one of the things that I'm thinking about, but at the height of the good times, a house like the one I'm looking at would have been worth at least €320,000, so I'm hoping I won't end up losing any money on it.

12. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

looks a lovely house and I like the idea of being able to choose all the fittings :thumbup1:
    We have just sold our house (subject to contract fingers crossed) and are down-sizing. we've found a nice house, overlooking fields. so hope it all goes smoothly
    543.jpg
    this is where we live now :) it's not listed but was built about 100 years ago. I will miss it but it's too big for us now :(

13. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Sadly almost all places wouldn't give a mortgage on our house, when we purchased it there was only one building society willing to lend on it in the whole of the UK.

It's a really old building, walls are really out, floors are all out, ceilings out I call it my crooked house. Its full of character which is what I love about it.

14. LouJ69

LouJ69 PetForums VIP

I love houses with lots of character & hopefully in the future I will be able to afford something like that. Just need to get my feet on the ladder first!!! It's a shame that it can be so hard to get a mortgage sometimes.

That's a lovely house that you have at the moment & I hope it all goes well for you with the new house. The one that I picked, overlooks a lovely big green in the centre of the development, with a nice bandstand in the middle. Lets hope that in the future it doesn't turn into a nice little "park" for underage drinkers & the like! lol:cursing:

15. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Nice house, I like that the living rooms are at opposite sides so you won't hear your neighbours in the evening.
    Our first house ( 30 something years ago ) was a 2 bed small place, oh bought it for 5 grand, we sold it for 10. Next house was a three bed semi, bought for 15 grand and sold for 75. The house we're in now was bought 15 years ago for 95 grand and is now worth about 375 to 400. I want to move as it's to big for us but mush for brains (oh) want's to stay :mad:.

Terri

16. LouJ69

LouJ69 PetForums VIP

You were lucky making a nice profit on all the houses that you bought! My OH isn't too keen on moving to the country as he puts it! (it's only 35 mins or so from Dublin city centre!), so basically I'll be buying the house on my own & he'll just live with me & stay over now & then. Probably best that way anyway, at least I'll get a bit of peace on my own! lol He'd gladly rent a house/apartment in Dublin for the rest of his life. Tbh I don't really care, I'm just dying to buy my own house!! Yeah, I love the set up of the houses, plus there are quite a few dog owners in the estate so Monty will have plenty of friends!! :p

17. rona

rona Guest

Get the longest fixed rate mortgage that you can, don't be taken in by the fact that a 2 year fixed is really cheap, all that means is that in 2 years time your mortgage will go up, or you will have to remortgage which costs a fortune.
    The interest rates have been up to double figures several times in the last 25 years.
    Could you afford that? Or would it mean loosing your home?

18. LouJ69

LouJ69 PetForums VIP

Yeah, someone said that to me the other day about getting a fixed rate mortgage, instead of the other one, which can go up or down from month to month depending on interest rates. See, this is why I love this forum so much - people are always on hand to give really helpful & friendly advice. If anyone else has any more advice, all is appreciated! I haven't got a clue coz this is my first house, so I need all the help I can get!!
    Thanks
    xxx

19. rona

rona Guest

Don't forget that you will also have a lot of fees to pay, it's not just the cost of the house.
    I don't know how much they would all add up to now but my guess would be £5000 plus

20. LouJ69

LouJ69 PetForums VIP

What sort of fees? The company will pay my solicitors fees up to €2,000, so that's one less to worry about!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice