Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Buying an English Bulldog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Gimbo, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Gimbo

Gimbo PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have spent months researching and scouring the net for Bulldogs.

I have come across many, but am always worried about health issues. I tend to look for the ones with less loose skin around their face, open (as much as can be) nostrils, and a few other bits. I'm not greatly fussed about KC as Health is my priority. I have looked at 3/4 English crosses as a possible trade off for slightly more health. I am not looking for American Bulldogs, Victorian etc as they tend to be hyper and from those I have met, a friend had a Victorian Bulldog and it needed 4 1 hour walks a day to tire it out.

Any advice?

Also I have seen this Bitch for sale, is she a runt of the litter, as looks more slender and petite than other 9-10 week old English Bulldog Pups. She has a hernia apparently but not an Umbilical hernia.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Without seeing her with her litter mates i wouldn't know if she was a tad small or a tad big..:) but something I would be looking at is how their parents jaws are lined up and how the pups look..

I have seen some very undershot jaws and it must make their lives a little awkward.. :(

3. Mophie

Mophie PetForums Senior

Deffo check jaws. Looking at her I don't think she looks THAT small. As for your friends Victorian needs 4 hours of walking I am not making a dog but is it mentally stimulated? I know of a few BIG & energetic dogs that don't need that much exercise but they're kept stimulated.

I can understand the hesitiation I'd love a Bulldog but the health problems really do put me off. I'd keep looking at crosses and maybe visit a litter or two research insurance, and vet costs of keeping a bulldog if you haven't already.

#3 Mophie, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  4. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

I don't really know anything about English bulldogs, but definitely don't make the mistake of thinking a cross will definitely be a healthier dog.

I would say its best to pop along to crufts and have a chat with a few bully breeders there. Ask about what health testing is preferred and their breeding programs. Ethical breeders should have health as their absolute priority, but if they also show in conformation then it shows they are invested in the breed.

It might be worth attending some open shows and having a chat with a local breed club too,

Good luck, :)

5. H0lly

H0lly PetForums VIP

Where abouts in the uk are you, If you PM me i can pass on some contact details of Bulldog people

6. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Emma is an Old English Bulldog and certainly doesn't need excessive exercise.

You may want to check out the latest KC advert as it has an interesting part about bulldogs in it. [youtube_browser]rrWjVFKuAg8[/youtube_browser]
    Probably not all breeders feel the same way but there are some and it's a case of finding them.

7. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

I don't know about american bulldogs being hyper, they need mental stimulation and good exercise but i wouldn't say they were 'hyper'.

Like said above definitely check the jaw on pups parents etc.

8. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

I have a good friend with a male and a female for sale, I think they are about 14 weeks old now. I know they are well-bred and have been well-reared as my OH looked after them a lot, lol! I can pass you the details, even you just wanna chat to them, they wont mind if you dont get a pup from them, they are very knowledgable on the breed and can give you tips and perhaps recommend other breeders that have litters too. :)

9. Gimbo

Gimbo PetForums Newbie

Thanks for all the helpful info! Sorry for not getting back sooner, but never got any notifications to say that anyone had responded. I have now seen a few Bulldogs, and am swaying towards the French Bulldog, mainly as they seem healthier and more active.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice