Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Buying a tortoise

Discussion in 'Turtles and Tortoises' started by fluffosaur, Jun 12, 2010.

1. fluffosaur

fluffosaur PetForums Senior

This is something I have considered since I was very young - buying a tortoise. However, I know very little about then and what they need.

Do they live outdoors or in? What do you recommend?

Are they... affectionate? Can you see when they're happy? Do they know you exist?

How often do they need cleaning out?

Do they need lots of attention? How long can they be left alone for? (I work 9-5, 5 days a week)

What do they eat?

Can they live alone?

How long do they live for?

Which breed do you recommend? (I'm looking at "spur thighed")

Where do I buy one from?! I avoid pet shops.

Are they expensive?

If I had an outdoor turtle enclosure how long would they be OK to be left alone for in it? (I go to France 2 weeks out of the year)

Would I be able to take one with me to France? Customs checks aside, could they cope with the journey/the heat etc?

Thanks! I've trawled advice sites but it's really difficult to understand as everybody has different opinions/advice.

2. canisred

canisred PetForums Newbie

Have a look on shelled warriors forum you'll find out all you need to know on there :thumbsup:
    There is a breeder list on there too :thumbup:
    good luck in finding a tortoise, i have a hermans and hes lovely :)

3. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

I have 2 horsefield tortoises Alfred and Mabel...they're 6 and 7 yo and live in a tortoise box with lighting indoors but go outdoors on a daily basis in the nicer weather....they eat all sorts but their fave is dandelion leaves and rose petals....I bought them from a private breeder they where 150 pounds each but the breeder didn't like selling singletons so let me have 2 for 200 pounds.
    Many disagree that they're affectionate, and no you wont get the affection that you get from a dog with a tortoise but mine do like having the top of their heads and their necks underneath stroked, they also like having the top softer tissue of their legs tickled....so up to a point they respond a lot more than people think.
    Hibernation is one thing to be up on before you by though...it's far to long to explain the ins and outs here but as someone has already suggested, the shelled worriers will be able to explain all and help
    Good luck
    Clare xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice