Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Buying a 2yr old GCCF registered cat from private seller. Advice needed

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Ciri, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Ciri

Ciri PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I'm completely new to buying a pedigree cat having only had rescues in the past. I've found a gorgeous Birman online who's just under 2 years old that I would like to rehome. Seller is asking for £600 as she's GCCF registered and pedigree. This seems to be a going rate for a pedigree kitten but i have a few Qs:
    - what paperwork do I need to ask for
    - how do I know the cat the seller hands me is the cat the paperwork relates to (cat not microchipped)
    - is there transfer of ownership paperwork? What does this entail?
    - if I want to 'show' the cat in the future will there be any hindrance to me doing this?

Is there anything else I should be wary of? Most advice seems to relate to buying a kitten, what is different about buying a [young] adult cat?

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

That's a heck of a price for a 2yo cat. I think I found that advert, registered active. And sold unneutered by the look of it.

Read the sticky thread about what the papers should look like.

spotty cats likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Ciri - I would be curious why a breeder is selling a 2 year old un-neutered GCCF registered pedigree female. Has the cat been bred and the breeder is now retiring her? If so why is the cat not being neutered before being re-homed?

Are you buying the cat to breed from her? If not, and you plan to have her spayed, then as Oriental Slave said, it's a lot of money to pay for a 2 yr old cat you are getting as a pet.

4. tyg'smum

tyg'smum PetForums Senior

I've never bought a pedigree cat, so can't advise on that, but the first thing that comes to mind is why they're selling an adult cat?

5. Ciri

Ciri PetForums Newbie

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Ok, but why is she selling her un-neutered? Just to ask more money for her perhaps?

7. Ciri

Ciri PetForums Newbie

Perhaps to leave the door open for buyers who want to breed her? I said I thought the price was high but she didn't sound like she would budge. I'm attracted to this cat as I feel a younger kitten will require much more 'training' time plus less likely to know the temperament of if that makes sense?

8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Doesn't sound like she cares much about what happens to the cat. Hope she's healthy.

9. tyg'smum

tyg'smum PetForums Senior

I'd be very worried about someone who wants to sell a potential breeding queen but isn't interested in the home it's going to.

10. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

It's normal for breeders to rehome adults if they've run them on to see their development or if they don't fit into the cat family dynamic, will she be neutered before she goes to you? Selling a retiree still entire is extremely unethical.

Paperwork needed is a GCCF registration card issued by GCCF. You can see a copy of this in this thread

Without a chip number, you don't know if the paperwork matches the cat so you have to go on trust. You can, however, match it up with the colour of the cat and the colour of the parents

The details to transfer ownership are on the back of the GCCF registration card. You can do it by post, phone, or online

There are no hinderances to you showing in future, and you'll find a few exhibitors on the forum that are willing to help and support you

There's very little different between buying a kitten or an adult cat, except for neutering. An adult should always be neutered before being placed in a new home (although kittens should be neutered too). Otherwise, health tests, proof of vaccination, registration card and pedigree should be provided, in the same way one would expect with kittens. The only thing missing with an adult is the 5 weeks free insurance, the insurance companies won't put it on an adult rehome.

lorilu likes this.
  11. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Unless the breeder/owner doesn't want her shown, or she's been shown and doesn't care for it.
    OP needs to have that discussion with the breeder or owner.

However, with the cat not being spayed before rehoming I would walk away.

12. OrientalSlave

Breeder / previous owner can't stop a cat being shown in gccf.

13. OrientalSlave

It would be very, very unusual for a decent breeder to pick up a female from P4H for breeding. Quite possibly unheard of. Having a cat from a friend which some do is quite different. Not neutering this girl is leaving her vulnerable to BYBs.

lorilu likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice