Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Butterflies

Discussion in 'Wildlife Gallery' started by wind1, Aug 27, 2016.

1. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

My buddleia is extra busy with bees and butterflies today and I finally managed to get a couple of pictures. The butterflies usually fly away as soon as I approach but today they have sat still whilst I click away. These 2 pictures are the only 2 decent ones from about 20 that I took! They are taken on my phone so not professional like some I see on here but good enough for me.

Small Tortoiseshell
    011de33d336d48508b9974bc08a68e3aa909bd4a57.jpg

Red Admiral
    012dec21679f7f50385d52c81e6b70d31422711d00.jpg

Jonescat, Sled dog hotel and rona like this.
  2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Look pretty good to me too :)

I keep telling people, it's not the quality of the pictures, it's the memory trapped within that makes some so special

wind1 likes this.
  3. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

My memories of these will be how many hours were spent trying to get the darn things! :)

rona likes this.
  4. rona

Bet you enjoyed those hours though and felt chuffed when you achieved your aim ;)

wind1 likes this.
  5. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

A painted lady on my Plumbago this morning.
    01bcf6befbe71d5fd19ef8f13149719b9eb8fa3cda.jpg

And a moth hiding out in the shed.
    01b64c96cffd81c97f8bedfbb7da8949298f5ca84d.jpg

Jonescat, Sled dog hotel and rona like this.
  6. rona

Lovely. Do you get excited when you see something unusual or for the first time that year?

wind1 likes this.
  7. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

I get excited seeing anything in the wild really, but yes seeing something for the first time is extra exciting. I don't really know all the different species of butterfly and certainly not moths so I have to look them up to id them or ask on here. By next year I probably will have forgotten what they are again.

We spent 2 days in the Forest of Dean last week and went to a nature reserve where Wild Boar roam. I was really hoping to see some but didn't. I did however see what I'm sure were Wild Boar footprints in some stodgy mud. That was exciting enough so goodness knows what I would have done had I seen the actual Boar!

Jonescat and rona like this.
  8. rona

you should come here for a long weekend and I could take you to a place with free roaming pigs, horses, deer and cattle ;)

I saw a boar when I was down there and I can honestly say it was scary

I stood watching a kingfisher this morning :) Wonderful...............

wind1 likes this.
  9. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

I see plenty of deer around here but not free roaming horses or cattle although some woodland near us has in the past had free roaming cattle. A Kingfisher is another one I would love to see. Saw a flash of one a few years ago but that's all. I think maybe I'm too noisy, everything scarpers when they hear me coming :)

rona likes this.
  10. rona

Air flow would be more of an issue than noise, as long as you aren't crashing along. Most creatures can smell a human a mile off with the wind in the right direction.
    Also movement is probably more an issue than noise.
    If you can sit and stare with the wind in your face, chances are you'll see something if you've got the right spot :)
    My trouble is, I can't sit still, but I am now generally walking over 50 miles a week, that's a lot of country miles in which to see things :D

wind1 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice