Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Butchers wet food??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rhia, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Rhia

Rhia PetForums Member

Morning all.

Margot is coming up to 8 months and currently fed burns dry food puppy, she's been great on it, no stomach issues beautiful coat and maintained the perfect weight.
    At my local pet store it is very pricey for a small bag.
    The other week we were out and she ended up having some butchers wet food with some dry at my cousins, she's occasionally had different foods if we've run out with no issues.
    Having wet and dry seemed to slow her down a bit so thinking about doing this.

Is butchers wet any good, or a load of rubbish?

Any reccomedations on a dry food that won't break the bank?

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It's OK. I get the grain free or tripe ones when they're on special offer - no cheap cereal fillers in them.
    For dry food, Burns is quite an expensive one. There are plenty of alternatives. Millies Wolfheart have a good range and deliver (you don't find it in shops other than one near Darlington). Currently, I mainly feed Lupo 24/10 cold pressed from Zooplus which comes in at about £35 for 15 kg.
    And if you want to stick to Burns, you may well find it cheaper online.

Rhia likes this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I feed Jack Butchers Simply Gentle wet trays alongside Vets Kitchen chicken & brown rice dry.

That works well with him.

LinznMilly and Rhia like this.
  4. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I agree, Burns is pretty pricey for what it is - you can definitely find kibble of a similar quality for cheaper. Do be aware though that £/Kg small bags are always going to be more expensive than big bags or even sack weights.

Butchers-wise, the trays are what Cad gets if he's having wet food. The main thing to be very careful of if feeding wet food for the majority of the diet is that with small dogs especially it's incredibly common for people to go "well the dog needs 7/8 per day and that's only a tiddly bit left, so I'll feed it too" or similar. Because to us it looks like a small bit, but to the small dog proportionally it's a fair amount. You can obviously put the spare bit in the fridge for the next day, but then you need to judge the proportions of that tray slightly differently etc., which is a lot of extra faff that a majority of the general public can't grasp. A good friend who's worked extensively in rescue once said to me if any fat small dogs come in, you could easily bet that they'd mostly been fed wet food, because of the above; the slightly more does mount up over time.

So if you do go down the wet-majority route, please do take extra care on the amounts side of thing.

Just out of general interest for 'sounds like they stock a lot of hard to get hold of stuff', which shop?

niamh123 and Rhia like this.
  5. Rhia

Rhia PetForums Member

Think I'm going to try some millies wolf heart, seems a big bag will be much better value and quality than the burns.

Also with feeding dry and wet mixed would I just half the daily amounts advised, sorry if that seems obvious and I'm being stupid

#5 Rhia, Oct 21, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Dunno. Might be the factory outlet? I've never been, but have heard there's a shop. It might say on their website.

7. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Rhia likes this.
  8. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

My two have Butchers wet and James Well beloved kibble.

Rhia and LinznMilly like this.
  9. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Senior

My 8 month old toy poodle puppy has natures menu country hunter wet food and Canagan piccolo dry kibble which seems to suit him very well. He used to have butchers puppy perfect trays but I changed to the natures menu as I always used it for my last two in the photo and Teddy seems to love it more than the butchers.

Rhia likes this.
  10. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

My adult terrier has Harringtons biscuits mixed with naturo meat. The puppy was on lily's kitchen but he went off it a bit so is now on Pets at Home Ava puppy kibble and Naturo meat.

11. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

My two are normally raw fed, but during isolation I needed the freezer space
    butchers original tripe loaf is what suited them the most, anything richer and along came the squits, anything less and they'd turn their nose up and was full of cr@p anyway

12. Rottsmum

Rottsmum PetForums Member

Another vote for Butchers grain free here!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice