Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Butcher's Tinned Food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Katherine Darmon, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Katherine Darmon

Katherine Darmon PetForums Newbie

Hello,I'm new to this group so still trying to figure how this all works.My Labrador is currently eating Skinners Hypoallergenic (duck and rice).I am considering changing my dog to a wet food,and Butchers tins do seem like they are reasonably priced (we are on a tight budget) and fairly good quality.I know they used to have a bit of a bad reputation but they seem to have upgraded ingredients wise and they score fairly well on the 'all about dog food' site.Does anyone have any opinions on this food?TIA x

2. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

i feed my dogs raw,
    but
    if i run out
    or,
    forgot to defrost some
    then butchers tripe ( and tripe only) is my go to
    of everything else ive tried, including expensive kibble, when we were going through chemo, its the thing that upsets their tums the least

Katherine Darmon, margy and Mum2Heidi like this.
  3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

It's always been a good budget grain free food...it's just basically rebranded to show this. If it suits your dog, go for it.

Although if Skinner's suits your dog then no reason to change. Kibble is usually more cost effective than wet.

You could use both if that's what you want to do, or vary the variety of the Skinner's flavour if you want to; there are several.

Katherine Darmon and Mum2Heidi like this.
  4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I always used tripe only but since they revamped the range others are just as good if not better. Have a look at how they’re rated on the allaboutdogfood website.
    Also if you email them and ask a bit of advice they’ll probably send you a voucher to get some:D

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I fed Jack on Butcher’s Simply Gentle tins (50% Vets Kitchen too) and he did well on it.

Think they have improved the recipe recently (or so I was told).

I now buy the SG in trays for convenience but they work out a bit more, though often on offer and I get discount vouchers with [email protected] card which helps a little.

The big tins work out even cheaper but not so much choice in flavours.

#5 Lurcherlad, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  6. Katherine Darmon

There's nothing wrong with the Skinners, just thought my dog might like a change and I'll probably still use it as a mixer for the wet food.

Mum2Heidi and lullabydream like this.
  7. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

It’s an idea to add some water to the wet to make a thick gravy and then mix in the kibble. Stops them trying to pick out the wet and leave the kibble;)

Katherine Darmon likes this.
  8. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

Butcher's is the best middle-range wet food imo, a good trusted British brand and they've recently changed their multipack packaging from plastic wrap to cardboard which just gives them extra points. I give the tripe based foods (which are grain free) and some of the other ranges which contain rice, my dogs do very well on them all as part of their diet.

9. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I was surprised to see the all about dog food site rates most Butchers on a par with Naturediet :)

Katherine Darmon likes this.
  10. Katherine Darmon

My dog is a typical foodie Labrador so will eat literally anythingBut I will try that,I picked up a multipack of the original tripe mix to see what she thinks!☺

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  11. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

From what you say I’m sure she’ll love it. Sometimes there’s a fair bit of jelly in the bottom of the can. I take some out then mix the remainder with a fork so it’s incorporated.;).
    Sounds like you won’t need to go to any bother. I bet she will love it.
    I think feed time is one of the most rewarding. Nothing better than an empty dish licked around the room :D

Katherine Darmon and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice