Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Butchers Classic

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by gizmo001i, Apr 1, 2011.

1. gizmo001i

gizmo001i PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I have read the wet food guide and found that we have very little choice in cat food in our area. At the moment we are not in a position to buy from the internet. From reading the guide, I get the idea that Butchers Classic is at least better than the likes of Whiskers and Felix. But at the same time it sounds like it may not be that much better, but the writeup is a little vague. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how good it is and if it is good enough for a time until we can find a better source of food. I know we could go with the homemade meals, but just at the moment I would prefer to go down the shop route. Any advice will be very welcome.
    Many thanks
    Ian

2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I use classic my cats love it and do really well on it as their wet food :)

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Do I think it is a good food? No I don't. I rate it on par with Whiskas, Felix and the like. Just cheaper. Will it do your cat any harm if you feed it until you find something better. No. At the end of the day, like Whiskas and Felix, it nominally contains all the nutrients a cat needs to maintain itself.

Bear in mind though that it does contain slightly more calcium, so it is skewing a calcium/phosphorus ratio that should be about 1.2:1 to 1.5:1. Slightly skewed but still within the recommended levels.

4. gizmo001i

gizmo001i PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your replies, especially from you Hobbs seeing as it was your guide I was refering to :). If that is the case I will stick with what seems to be about the best food I can find at the moment which is Highlife Essential. It may be on the expensive side, but it seems to be about the best I can get. I was just wondering if the Butchers was on par with it, but obviously not. Once again, many thanks for your quick replies.
    Ian

5. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

i feed that at the moment due to budget and the fact i work fulltime and cant take delivery of online orders,

my cats love it and they do not go hyper on it like they do on felix or whiskas

but i do make sure i give a decent dry food too

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice